Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 341S 16HP Rebuild

Albina

A friend and I have recently re built a 16 HP Kohler Single Cylinder Engine. The piston split in two. Following the re build, are there any immeiate precautions we should take? How soon before I can start mowing with abandon again? Thanks, Rick Carter

Rick, This what I did to my 14 horse last summer after a major rebuild. 1. Retorque head bolts. Motor is in a Cub Cadet. 2. After 4-5 hours change oil. 3. Always run good fresh gas. 4. After 1 hour run time I start doing light work with it. 5. Motor had 6-7 hours on it when I went to a plow day and plowed 2- 3 hours straight. 90-100 hours later Cub is going strong. Keep an eye on oil level and any loose bolt(s). Ist oil change oil will look like it has fine metal in it. Best thing you can do for your Kohler is use a good quality motor oil and keep it vents around motor clean. It doesn't matter what the motor is in after a rebuild I let motor get to operating temp and put the hammer down. They're going to go or blow up.:D:)^

Rick, Papa pretty much nail this one, but forgot one thing. ;)If this is your first rebuild, Your going to get a real good feeling when it first fires.:D

quote:
from Joe Papa pretty much nail this one, but forgot one thing. If this is your first rebuild, Your going to get a real good feeling when it first fires.
Joe, your right- but I still get that same feeling:)every time I rebuild a motor. It's been 32 years.

Thanks for the help guys. We will hopefully fire up today. These motors are workhorses. The grass I have mowed with this in the past would stall out most engines. Thanks again.

maxtorman1234
Make sure you add oil before you start it.;) I've heard of people that forgot, and it sure can get expensive[:0]