Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7013-S Decals

Roy

I need a source for the decals that go on the dash cowl of a 7013-S. Per my friendly dealer they are NLA. I have made an ACAD drawing of the decals but cannot figure out how to get ACAD to fill the background with black and leave the letters blank (empty or white). The attached drawing is the one I made.

I have also sent messages to Uncle Bob and Norm's Toys and awaiting responses. Thanks,

Roy, since I can save this as a jpeg file, I can fix it easily when I get to work in Monday. Don't think I have the correct software here at home. I would like to get the same decals for my AC713S. How much are they going to cost? I bought hood decals from Sandy Lake, while I was at GOTO.

Rod, If we can fix the drawing as I described we can print them on our computer printers. Office Max sells some sticky transparent plastic and another clear type to go on top. Friend of mine in Michigan makes decals for his RC airplanes this way and they work good. I got the method and mylar info from him. My hang up is getting the background filled and leaving the letters clear. The lettering is white and must use white paint beneath the decal for the letters. Hope you can fix the drawing. Oh, I have photos of the decals. Do you want me to e-mail them to you? Thanks,

Roy Open the jpeg with MSpaint and fill in the areas you want with the color you want and then re-save it with a different file name.

Maynard, Your hand is a lot steadier than mine. My attempts did not come out so good. But, a friend of mine in Michigan did a beautiful job for me. Rod, I sent you a PM on this. Thanks,

If you print that out and take it to a sign shop. They can cut them out of actual decal material. Some Kinkos locations can do this also.

Ron, Found a local shop today that will make the decals from my drawing. First set is $25 due to setup fee. Subsequent sets are $10.

Roy, I can fix this for you in a format much better than a .JPG file. Send me a DXF or DWG file out of ACAD. I will fix it up for you and send it back in a DXF format. A DXF file format is a vector based graphic which is much much cleaner looking than a JPG file which is a bitmap graphic. Send it to ryan@plasticingenuity.com I can send it back in a few minutes. Ryan

Ryan, Check your e-mail. Rod Hubbard is working on this with me but it will not hurt to see what you can do also. Thanks,

Ryan's right about the vector format. I've heard of plotters using eps files also. Here's a link to something that might be of interest. http://www.rolanddg.com/products/sx15/sx15.html When I was into racing radio controlled cars, I remember reading about these. Sounds like it might be great for tractor decals. Sorry, I don't know the price. Scott

Thats right Scott. An .EPS (Encapsulated Post Script) file is also a vector graphics file format. The key to getting decals cut is providing your sign shop with a "vector" graphics file i.e. *.DXF or *.EPS file. This file has the logo, decal or graphic provided in 2-D lines or arcs that the vinyl cutter will use to cut the desired shape. If you provide the sign shop with a *.JPG file (bitmat format) they will have to re-create that file into a "line art" vector based file format that the vinyl cutting machine can use. They charge for this and it can be quite time consuming. So always try to provide them with a DXF or a EPS file. Also if you use a "true type" font to make characters of text you will need to convert each letter into curves. Most vector based graphics programs can do this such as Corel Draw and Illustrator. Ryan

Roy I have a gerber plotter to cut letters. Problem is I'm not computer knewledgable to set it up. Computer time runs up the cost, butif we can get this all set up I think we can cut letter cheap. Vinyl isn't but a dollar or so a foot. Oh my daughter can do anything we need she build and networks and programs computers.

Ken, How can I get some of the adhesive backed vinyl? You can run the vinyl sheet through a printer and print a reverse (mirror) image on the paper backing, then cut out the decal with scissors and an xacto knife. If this technique works, all it will take is a little time to make a whole set of decals. Since I love to make my own parts and modifications, this is right down my alley.

Rod, Most of the good vinyl has a type of plastic back that I do not think will take ink very well. Some of the cheap stuff has a paper back that will take ink. Also the decals from the shop will have a transfer paper on the front so they are already evenly spaced. Here are the ones that I had made for my 912h.

Ron, I have lettered several names on my pulling tractors by buying the chrome vinyl or engine turn vinyl from auto parts shops. They have paper backings. Just print reverse letters on the paper backing, cut out the letters, remove the backing, and stick them on. Of course this will be difficult on the dash decals, because the letters are so small.

I've used Monokote, that's used on model airplanes. I've hand-cut stickers for my R/C cars. I printed out what I needed. Then I taped down the vinyl, and taped the printout on top of it. I cut with an X-Acto knife, removed the printout, then peeled away the waste vinyl. I used 2 inch masking tape to stick over it to keep words evenly spaced (like the professional stickers pictured in Ron T's post above), then peeled it off and applied it. Worked great. You've just got to be careful not to cut through the monokote's (or vinyl's) backing