Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Polarizing a new regulator?

Chris727

I recently got my new voltage regulator for my B110, it is an exact replacement rectangular regulator, and on its intructions , which are for GM and American Motors, it mentions "polarizing" the regulator. They tell you to: "obtain an 8 inch piece of 16 gauge or larger jumper wire. Momentarily (no longer than 2 seconds) touch jumper wire to both the armature and battery terminal. There may be a brief spark, this is normal. Start vehicle and check charging system for proper operation." Could this apply only to when installing on a car, I've never heard of anything like that? Thanks. Chris

As Al Eden has pointed out, polarizing a S/G is not required. (IF the tractor is wired properly.) To understand why polarization is important, read this > http://web.utk.edu/~tprather/FoothillsTractorClub/TechTips/PolarizeGenerator.html Are you sure the regulator you have (for a Delco generator) will work properly with your S/G? Anyone wanting to install a non-OEM regulator should read this > http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/3_pole_regulators.htm

I have to occasionally polarize the generator on the 9N tractor or my Model A. But that is because it uses a cut off relay. This relay isolates the generator from the battery when not putting output. Hitting the ign switch won't do it. The jumper bypasses the cut out relay for a few seconds.

You need to polarize a generator, but not a starter-generator. Energizing the starter will polarize the unit.

Thanks guys. Dutch, I'm quite sure the regulator will work with my generator as the starter-generator is original and the regulator is a direct replacement. I looked at some of Al's electrical info on Simpletractors, lots of good info about starter generators, printed it out and its going in with my manuals.

The regulator on my tractor came with it ,i'm sure its a "generic" part from the auto parts store,could this be the problem with mine not charging ? thanks.