Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel shut off....an ounce of pre.....

patrician12

Most of my equipment have fuel shutoffs.Most carbs leak after sitting a while but here is a story.About 6 years ago I bought a 12.5 hp Briggs and Stratton Colt heavy duty self powered brush hog.Always ran great no problems except this year it smokes blue like mad for the first 45 seconds.Then doesn't smoke for the rest of the day.Hardly uses any oil.It has less than 400 hours on it.How can this be?I finally decided it must have the carb leaking into the cylinder and intially washes the rings.I noticed the the intake and the carb on this vertical are in line(not updraft).So 2 weeks ago I put on a fuel cutoff and ran motor till bowl was empty.2 weeks in row now no smoke!!!!Remember,if you have gravity feed you always have pressure on the needle and seat.I know everyone knows this but aren't we all just noticing the external leaks?I think it is just good practice to have a shut off .Most new pieces of equipment come with it from Honda to Briggs.

And those fuel shut offs are cheap. I know I put them on all my engines when I get them completed. I hate having the smell of gas in the garage or shop. And with the price of fuel now, it doesn't take long to recover the cost of the valve.

I put a replacement one on my B110 after almost losing the tractor and Charlies barn. Changing the carb after a rebuild didn't have a working shutoff. The old carb was laid on top of the tractor with the hood off. A spark a fire and the rest was almost history. Damage was limited to fuel line old carb and one front tire and tube. Could have been alot worse. I am getting another tractor ready to run one of the first parts will be a $6.00 shutoff.

quote:
Originally posted by patrician12
Most of my equipment have fuel shutoffs.Most carbs leak after sitting a while but here is a story.About 6 years ago I bought a 12.5 hp Briggs and Stratton Colt heavy duty self powered brush hog.Always ran great no problems except this year it smokes blue like mad for the first 45 seconds...
:D:D Hmm, I've never ever had problems with any one of our 6+ Kohlers carbs leaking ....:D:D;):pLoL

Grahm at our dealership we see it pretty even between Briggs and Kohler carbs leaking. It suprises me how many engines ,regardless of brand, we get in that have been ruined due to gas in the oil. Tecumseh and Kawasaki are not immune either. Kind of makes me like the Kubota diesels better as time goes on.