Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Fuel Filter, Doh!

HubbardRA

When I have been driving my AC713S around since I finally got it finished, every ten or fifteen minutes of driving, I would need to adjust the carb. It was puzzling me. Couldn't figure out what could cause that variation. Getting ready to remove the carb for another tear down, when I noticed the problem. In my haste to get this tractor fully functional so that I could take it to GOTO, I did install a fuel cut-off, but forgot to put in a fuel filter. Probably lots of varnish in that old gas tank that is now coming loose and building up in the main jet area of the carb. Hope none of you others ever make this mistake. B/S fuel filters are cheap. Use them. It will save a lot of headaches.

I've had that happen a few times to me, I had to choke the engine to get it to run, now I know whenever that happens I have junk in the carb. With 5 or 6 tractors, I'd need 5 or 6 filers and fuel shutoffs, and right now I need air filters too. Even though its not good to do, i've been re-using old carb gaskets on all these engines:I, and never had a problem doing it. From what I hear, it seems the kohlers have alot less problems than the briggs:p