Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's the service interval...

Kent

... on the self-contained hydraulic lift system used on the old B-series Allis and pre-3300 series Simplicity? I've seen it somewhere, and it was either 25 hours or 100 hours, and I can't remember which, nor can I recall the source...

Don't know exactly. Probably around 50 hours. Definitely change the hydraulic fluid if it starts to look milky (contaminated). Much of this depends on the type of usage, normal around the house or very dirty dusty conditions. Contaminants get on the rod and work past the seals. Moisture also contaminates the fluid just from the vent on the system and humidity in the air. Moisture is your worst contaminant, because it can cause internal rusting and pitting.

Thanks, Maynard. I thought I'd read 25 hours, but I started second-guessing myself. That seems kind of strange that the service interval on it is the same as on the engine itself...when the engine oil is dealing with both the heat and contamination from the combustion chamber...

Kent, I suggested 50 because my officemate said that was the service interval on the hydraulics for his Kubota. I was sure 100 was too long.