Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire mounting

Denny

Has any one tried tire mounting with gasoline in the rim/tire assembley? I have a suburn tire I just can't get to seat. Thnaks Den

DO NOT USE GASOLINE
IT IS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN
You can use a 1 second squirt of starting fluid but before you do wrap a chain around tire and wheel in a couple places around tire and wheel and do this outside away from other people.
THIS CAN ALL SO BE DANGEROUS

I have had a couple that I have been so frustrated with I almost, repeat almost, went the starting fluid route. For me it is not worth the chance. Just walk away for a while to cool off, then go back to it later.

Denny, I was just joking with the comment above. I have used starting fluid several times. Squirt only about a one second burst as Maynard said. I then light a match and toss it into the gap between the tire and rim. If the starting fluid does not ignite, put a slightly longer shot of fluid in the tire. In other words walk up to the right amount in steps. Too much can be very dangerous. I like to bolt the rim on to the vehicle before using the fluid. That way the rim cannot go flying. Best way to seat a tire is a blast tank. It is a relatively small tank with a large pipe coming out of it, with a ball valve in the pipe. The end of the pipe is flattened somewhat and has a hook to catch on the rim and prevent it from going in between the tire and rim. Pump up the tank, throw the valve wide open. The burst of air shoots between the tire and rim and seats the tire, but the tire prevents any more air from going inside once it contacts the rim. These are usually pretty safe. Many tire shops have them. I would also, but they cost around $350.

Least frustrating way I've found is to use a tube. After a week or so, the tire will be able to be seated and the tube can be removed and used again.

Back in my service station days we used ivory flake and water to make mix that looked like slime. brush on inside of the rim and tire with a paint brush. I like to use a piece denem from a pair of pants to rap around the tire. If the tire seats fast the cloth will expand or brake without any damage to your person.good luck

I was trying to mount an ATV tire and was having no luck. After giving up I went to my local garage. we tried the slime, the belt and tube. Finally the guy said OK I'll do it like I do the truck tires. He reached into a tub of bearing grease and sloped on so much I thought the tire would never seat. But the grease held the air till the tire pushed out and all the grease came back out to wiped off. This tire has never leaked even with 8psi It has been 2 years. I have also had success turning the open side of the bead down so gravity helps seat the whole thing. that works good also

[url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28795[/url] Please read my post about tires. It does not deal with what your asking but it dfeals with the dangers of tires. I'm a trailer mechanic, and I do change tires on them. I have seen a guy use gass to seat the bead. It does work great.....However I do not suggest you use anyting like that to seat any bead. The tire he did was much larger than a little tractor tire, but I still dont recomend it. Try useing rope and a rachet strap. I have used them in the past and it does work. Personally I found the best was to seat a bead is to spend the $5-$10 and get a tube!!! Never a problem!! Please do read my old post. If the link dosen't work could some one who know what there doing link it the right way? I'm not that computer savy. lol Elon

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Best way to seat a tire is a blast tank. These are usually pretty safe.
Rod, your probabbly right with useing one for small tires. You should only need 20-30psi to seat them. Though I have never used mine for small tires. The tires we do at work we put 80-100PSI in the tank. If your not ready when you pull that valve.......Boom!!! your arm is flying back. Iv'e accually had somthing like that happen to me. It was over the winter, on ice and snow. I wasn't quite ready and boom! arm went flying back and my feet went flying forward! The bead seater also went flying. There I was lying on my buttin the snow!!! LOL After that I shovle as much as I can. Elon

I used the starter fluid technique last fall to put snow tires on my car. Scarey as all get out! but, it worked. I used the same approach as Rodney did... A one second spray then try to ignite, then a two second spray and so on. My 15 inch tires took a five second spray to ignite and seat the bead. I used a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight to hold the tire/rim assembly. POOF !

Steps to be done for installing a tire on the wheel (ATV or Tractor). These will save a lot of frustration trying to get the tire to bead. 1: Before you place the tire on the wheel put 2,3 maybe 4 blocks our anything between the two beads, to spread them apart. 2: Use a hair dryer(or heat gun) to warm the side walls. 3: Let cool 4: Install on rim on the first side 5: Pull up on the opposite bead, just to make sure the beads stayed spread 6: Install second side 7: Inflate Note steps 2 and 3 can be skipped if you leave the blocks in overnight usually.

I tried the starter fluid 2 times with the tire chained down. The first time it poped out, but I left the valve stem out which caused some of the air to escape . The 2nd time I just got a flame out with the valve stem in. I figued I wait and try some other Idea's latter. Then a buddy stopped by and I ask him if he could get it done, he made a pipe and strap to go around the tire and she went right on. Thanks for all the the tips. Den

Funny thing , when I got a 707 a couple of weeks ago one of the front rims was missing a tire valve. I put one in and inflated it. Yesterday I noticed it had gone back down so I took the wheel off, tied a strap around it, put a pipe through the strap and twisted. WOULD NOT SEAT!!! Walked away, went back last night with same results. I bought a tube because I was tired of messing with it. Took one side of the tire off to install tube.... I don't think 2 would fit in there.. Already had one in it. It had gotten low on air and the tube had slid around the inside the rim. Pretty much how it goes in my neck of the woods. Pretty funny though..