Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler governor

maxtorman1234

Hi, I have a k341 that has a problem with the governor. I've tried every adjustment but nothing works. I read somewhere that there should be tension on the governor cross shaft, is this when its running or just any time? I'm pretty sure somethings broke inside, so it looks like it has to come apart. I dont know how it could get messed up, since it's a relatively new block and has low hours. It's also leaking oil around the shaft. Thanks for any help,,

Hi, The easiest way to do the static adjustment on a governor follows. In the Briggs factory school they said just throw away all the stuff about clockwise and counter clock wise. With the engine not running, just take the governor arm and move it so it opens the carb wide open. Hold the arm there with the carb open against its stop. Loosen the shaft on the arm and turn the governor shaft in the arm in the same direction the governor arm went to open the carb up. Turn it until there is no slack in the shaft and with the carb still wide open lock the arm on the shaft. If the engine was just rebuilt was the old governor used. Was the gear white, tan or brown. If it was white or light tan probably OK. Dark brown has been overheated and should not be reused. It is not unheard of for these governors to fail, or if the gear is dark brown the gear to break. Unfortunately this is the very first part put in the block in assembly and it will require the removal of the piston, crank and camshaft. Hope it is just the shaft slipped on the shaft or something simple like that. Good Luck, Al Eden

Thanks, I bought this engine in a tractor quite a while ago, and have no idea what the governor is like. I had the head off, and it still had the marks from the factory on the cylinder walls. It is also unpainted and and has alot less wear than the rest of the tractor. I'm pretty sure its a new shortblock. I guess I'll just have to take the oil pan off and check the colour before i tear it apart this winter, Thanks again,

I bet Al is correct about the cross shaft. I'd make sure of that before I went to the trouble of tearing it down. I have only worked on a fraction of the engines Al has and I have seen this a few times. Easy fix to a seemingly fairly common problem. Brent

THanks for the help, but it looks like i have to tear it apart. I tried adjusting it the way Al said, but it didn't help. Its just strange how it would go in a shortblock that is almost new. Thanks anyways,

Graham, I had a problem with a B/S governor. First thing that was wrong was that the arm was too far out on the shaft and allowed the shaft to move inward and disconnect from the gears. I pulled the shaft outward and slid the governor arm against the block to hold it. This time I made it too tight and it wouldn't move. Moved it just slightly and then adjusted as Al said. Works great now. This is the governor in my AC713S. I had already gotten in touch with Dan to buy another governor assembly when I got this one working.