Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4040/4041, AC 620/720 questions

Fred

Travis,
I'll leave the long list of things to check on the 4040 to the fine group of folks that hang out here and just mention the engine. Check the engine carefully. It's an Onan CCK and they are not made any more. A CCK short block costs $$$$.$$ The 4040/4041's are very good tractors and with little care last a looong (we don't know how long yet) time. A number of us are working on a replacement for the Onan and it's turning into a very big job. I'm experimenting with a Briggs 16.5 L-head right now. Read the message that was posted right after yours. If the tractor checks out and the engine has some life to it yet and the price is right it may be your best investment.
Stan

Welcome, Travis, (and are you related to John Boesch?)
I'll just expand a little on Stan's answer. The only thing you missed was that there were six models in this series. The Simplicity 4040 and A-C 616 were first and used the 16.5 HP Onan CCKA. The Sim 4041 and A-C 620 were next and concurrent, and the Sim 9020 and A-C 720 were last and concurrent. The last four all used the 19.5 HP CCKB. Save trim and cosmetics, there are no other important differences between any of the six, of which I am aware. Look in the "Gallery" for pictures. They were all built by Sim while under A-C's ownership, although there is some question how much of the design work was A-C's. As Stan said, Onan short-blocks are expensive, about $2000 or so (if available - the crankshaft was a 'special'), and there is no known direct replacement engine, not even an Onan. Some of us are working on that question. So far, the most likely candidate is a Kohler Command V-twin (18, 20, 22, or 25 HP), cheaper new and complete than an Onan short-block, but it will require some engineering as NOTHING interchanges with a CCK.
When buying one of these, the engine's condition is most important. Also be aware that they came both with and without a rear PTO and three-point hitch, which may be of concern if you need to use rear implements. I'm not qualified to address price.
Fred

Hi, I'm new to the world of these older model garden tractors, but just knew I always wanted an AC 620 or
720. Came across a Simplicity 4040, and was wondering if someone could explain the differences between the 4040, 4041, 620 and 720 (years produced, mechanical and/or cosmetic differences, and approximate price one could expect to pay for one in nice shape with approx. 1000 hrs.). Any/all
help would be appreciated. I have an opportunity to purchase a 4040, but always desired a 620/720.
Thank you for your patience and time.

Travis,
Glad we could fool you into thinking that we helped. Please join up and come back with anything else.
I'll e-mail the other answer.
Fred

Travis,
I have owned two 620 AC's for 16&17 yrs. I have no idea how many hrs. where on the tractors when I bought
them. Both the CCKB's are still running strong, thank
the Lord! I hope the members working on a replacement
engine have some luck,as you have read the Onan short
block is very expensive.
I was at an auction resently, and a really rough 720
AC went for $2700. I hope this gives you an idea on the price. Floydster

Kraig,
The 720 at the auction did have a mower deck, but that
was the only attachment. Over all it was in pretty
tough shape. A young guy (20 ish) bought it, he said
he had to have it, I thought $2700 was a lot to pay
for this tractor, it needed a lot of work. The guys
where bidding like crazy on it!!!
Floydster

Floyd, Did that 720 have any attachments or the three point hitch? Just curious as that could alter the price.

Kraig

Thanks much for all the comments. They've been very helpful and informative. Glad to see there's a forum out here on such a thing - never knew there was any sort of following. Look forward to joining up as soon as I figure out how. Looks like you're
all doing a great job so far. Keep up the good work.

And by the way, where's John from? I noticed the name around here - could be a distant relation. Don't see too many Boesch's around usually. Anyway - take care and hope to converse with you all again soon. I'll definitely have more questions in the future!