Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Home Depot brinly stuff now $25

Chris727

Just the other day I was looking around at Home Depot and found the remaining sleeve hitch garden cultivators were marked down to $25 each. I couldn't pass that up as it was originally over $100. Found a disc for $25 as well, I'm sure the blades alone are worth that much. Thought I'd pass that along. Chris

anyone have the sku #'s for any of the parts... (if the computer shows them in stock, they're usually willing to look for them buried in back...) Thanks, since I found them: plow: 131959 disc 131894 cult 131993 box 131926

Thanks for the info! My Home Despot (Cincinnati) says they have 6 cultivators. $30 clearance price. Has anyone used one of these Home Depot bolt-it-together cultivators? Do they work?

Rut roh, you goin to throw a monkey wrench in the sale Dutch? This may make it a bit tough on the member looking for $175 for the scraper thingy.............

Tom, the cultivator looks to be real well made but I haven't even assembled mine yet, though I do have one of the older ones. I like it as a ripper but havent used it for cultivating much, I hate trying to get between the rows with the tractor, keep messing up the plants, next year I'll have to do 40" rows of corn.

My wife works at the Depot. Most of these clearance sales are made by the store manager. So if you find a item that looks like it has been there a while find the manager and beat him up a little. A good example is the table Umbrella that my wife brought home the other day. A $114.99 umbrella at the price of $10.00[:0]. She then told me that they sold a Mtd mini tiller cultivator for $65 because they had no box or paperwork on it. I wanted to hit her with the umbrella because she didn't buy the tiller.B)

I bought one of the cultivators a couple of years ago. The work pretty well. I only used 4 of the six chisel points on it and tied a cemoent block to it for more weight. After I got the ground broken up I was able to bolt two 6 inch sweeps to it and lay out furrows. All this was in georgia red clay, hard as a rock. Of course when i planted the garden, there wasn't any more rain for 2 months....But it was fun plowing anyway....

quote:
Originally posted by surviver2003
we're waiting for the story Dutch. The suspence is getting to me.
quote:
Originally posted by snapper1650
Alright Herb... give it up. What's the story??
Visit the Coffee Shop..........

Visit the Coffee Shop.......... Can't do that. What's so bad about posting a "funny" Brinly story here? 541 viewings were done right here.

I'm not taking the bait. Maybe if you had a 1 cent membership sale like at Home Depot I'd pay to see what was posted by Dutch in the Coffee Shop. Oh yes that reminds me what my post is really about. All this talk about Home Depot made me find tire chains 23x9.5 for 1 cent. Ran them through the self help register. It went tilt and required human intervention. The "human?" decided it was perfectly fine to sell the chains for a penny a set. What a great place Home Depot can be at times. I've learned to appreciate my local Home Depots. As an example: Using all the gimmicks these big stores have in place, I've gotten the current price for 1/2" CDX down to $9.92...If you think the managers are happy about it, think again... Maybe I should open a little lumber yard.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I took the bait. I figured for $30 (everybody keeps saying $25, but $30 was as low as they went in SW Ohio stores) it would be worth it. Got a cultivator. Looks like a nice enough unit. Anybody have any idea how I can adapt this to hitch on my 917 (7117)? I'm sure I could rig up something to drag the thing, but how to lift it with the rear hydraulic sleeve is leaving me with a bad case of head scratch.

Tom, You are going to need a one point hitch, also known as a sleeve hitch, you may also need a rear lift assembly, cable, pulley, etc. if your tractor doesn't have one already.

I cut and pasted this reply I made to another post in the coffee shop... Here is a pic of both the correct sleeve hitch and one of the bunch I picked up. Note that ours are narrower and also a bit shorter in length. While ours uses a rod and clevis, the other one uses flat bar as the lift link and there is also no cross member between the arms. This is the type of hitch needed to use the Brinley implements. I wasn't able to find any 7/16" rod to check out if you could just use a length of rod that passes through both arms and the rear hitch points. It would need to be about 10 1/2" long to clear everything, and you'd need to use short pipe spacers on either end(outboard of the rear hitch points on the tractor) to keep it centered. [img]attach/thedaddycat/DCP04436.JPG[/img] I forgot to mention, I did get some 1/2" rod and I'll try the long rod idea out by drilling the tractor rear hitch holes out to 1/2" so I can use the heavier rod. I'll likely have to remove the rear wheels to do the drilling, and maybe one of them to install the rod. Not too convenient if it works out that way, but there are other ideas I have to overcome that challenge when I get that far....

I picked up 7 of the larger sleeve hitches when I got the two discs and a second cultivator, which the Waterford store finally found. I had called about the Brinley attachments when I saw the post about them going on clearance. The computer said they had 10 cultivators, 3 discs and a box scraper, but they couldn't find any of them when I was there. A couple of days later they called, someone had moved the pallet with that stuff down from somewhere else and I took everything they had. John, if you want one I'll trade it for a box scraper, since they are still marked $75 at the one store around here that has any...