Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Al

John Deere temp tests.

Al
Hi, I don't mean to "polute this site" but attached [I hope] are some pics of our John Deere 400 kit temp tests. The picture of the slim guy is Scott Minnzenmeyer, owner of Recreational motorsports. He was my first employee at 17 yrs old in 1980. We added Simplicity to our Golf Car business, and I still was working as an electronics technician at Rockwell Collins. I gave him the keys and the check book and said run it. Anyway he went his separate way latrerand has a tremendous hi performance snowmobile and watercraft engine business. Has done a lot of research for Polaris. I borrowed his shop for these tests. In the first pictures I connected our gear box to his Kiddy racing snowmobile track dyno. I couldn't load the 25s adequately for long periods with his dyno, so the later pics. show my bigger pump and setup. Scotts shop is a certified Legend race car engine builder and last y ear one of his guys built a Kohler Command v twin that put out over 80 Hp on the dyno at 7500 when the crank broke and it exploded. A steel bittet crank fixes that. Some of you might find his web site interesting. Hope I can be forgiven for poluting this site. Al[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=Al&file=12275"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url][url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=Al&file=12276"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url][url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=Al&file=12277"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url][url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=Al&file=12278"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url][url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=Al&file=12279"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]

Kent
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Al/DSCN0137JDeere400DynoRed01.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Al/DSCN0138JDeere400Dynored02.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Al/DSCN0139JDeerre400Dynored03.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Al/DSCN0148JohnDeere400Temp Test064red.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Al/DSCN0151DA1920TempTest04 Redcopy.JPG[/img]

Al
Hi, The engine companies have specs that need to be met when their engines are installed in equipment. When a manufacturer designs a new piece of equipment, they have to do temp testing to assure that they do not have problems with heat re-circulation [where heat from the outlet side finds a path and gets sucked in the fan] and similar problems that can cause oil temp, head temp etc to be too high. These tests also check the fuel system for vapor lock problems. When we remove an engine from a piece of equipment, and replace it with another type for our kits, we have to go through the OEM testing procedures for our own protection. Once one of our kits is certified, we can sell it anywhere in the world and not have to worry about having an engine failure and having the engine company determine that the application is deficient and that the warranty responsibility goes TO US from the engine manufacturer. We can't afford to buy engines and this is why we are so concerned that all of our repower kit engines are safe. We are going to be doing a package for a skidloader this Winter and the hydraulic oil tank is in the back door. The unit has an Onan reverse flow engine. [The cooling air comes in over the outlet side of the heads and is blown out the side of the flywheel housing. Just putting a regular engine in there would be a disaster as it would be sucking its cooling air off the hot oil tank. Whatever cooling system we develope, we will have to temp test to be sure it is OK. When we did the 25 hp Sun Star kit we had to do the temp run on it. We don't do the recording, we get every thing ready and a rep from our Central Distributor comes in and does the magic. It takes about 3 hours in the hot room for a temp run. We install about 11 sensors on the unit in prescribed locations. If we make any changes in the kits that could affect temp, we would need to have it re-certified. Ideally these tests are run in a 110 degree room. However kohler has some interpolation charts and can put correction factors in to allow some lower room temp numbers. The last part of the run is about 1 hr at full throttle with the dyno loading the engine to full output, where the governor has the carb plate full open. At the end of the run the key is shut off and the fuel temp in the carb soars. When it plateaus they turn the key and the engine has to start [key only no choke etc] in less than 5 seconds. Fail and its back to the drawing board for vapor lock solutions. Hope this kind of explains about the process. Al Eden

bigcountry
I did exhaust gas temperature monitoring as a high school math-engineering-science project a couple of years ago. I believe the highest temperature I recorded was around 650 deg. F in a 18HP Briggs Vanguard Twin, of course I was using the data to make a graph and determine the function equation at the same time.