Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is the best gasket maker???????

LesH

Is RTV blue a good gasket maker for resistance to oil and heat?? Anyone have any experience with leaking?? I would prefer the new gasket , but sometimes the RTV seems easier..

It depends on what you are useing it for. The RTV black I think would be a better choice. They also make a red that is heat resistent. Never use any of it on a carb.

Speaking of gaskets has anyone ever seen a multi size hole puncher for making gaskets? I tried a leather hole punch but the sizes do not vary much. That would make gasket making easier. RTV is always messy and looks cheap I think.

I know for a fact that GM uses the black RTV in a lot applications were they don't use a gasket. ;) I use a lot of the Black. :D

Mark, What an excellent idea, never thought of that. Should be able find enough size selection of different calibers to make about anything I need. If I used an unspend cartridge I could do several at a time. So long RTV! Thanks

If I have to use one i prefer the black rtv. I also use a red liquid that GM uses on some transmissions. It Will get hard when it is compressed between two surfaces and the air is removed.

Les, If you have access to (or know anyone who does) McMaster Carr or MSC industrial catalogs, they both list gasket hole punching sets. I obtained mine from McMaster and they work very well.

Mark, I am really sold on a Permatex product called "The Right Stuff". It is a non-silicone gasket maker comprised of an elastomer rubber compound. It is spec'd by GM, Ford, and Chrysler. Most good auto parts stores carry it (NAPA, Auto-zone, Pep Boys, etc). It is a little pricey, but it truely makes a great leak free gasket. Tom(PK)

• 1 month later...
I got a set of gasket-making punches from Northern Tool and I've used them--they worked fine. As I don't use them every day, I went for the inexpensive.

There is a new grey type silicon that we have for automotive use.It dries very quickly and makes an excellent seal.It far outperforms all others that we have tried.It appears to have the same qualities as the red but doesn't damage O2 sensors and dries in a fraction of the time.

I prefer the Ultra Copper RTV for almost all my gasket stuff. I also got a hole punch set at the flea-market for 10 bucks if I have to make my own gaskets.

Permatex #2 works well for me. Its not for high heat areas like exost. Just get the serface clean and let it dry a few befor puting together.

At a garage sale a number of years ago I found a gasket maker kit. It consists of a square board with cardboard covering and a centered metal hole for holding a metal pin. This pin is attached to a adjustable bar that has a heavy block of brass that mounts a single edge blade (adjustable for depth). You just put your material down on the board, push pin into hole, and spin the brass bob. Perfect circle. Do it again (a little smaller) and you have a gasket. Hole punches do the rest.