Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12hp vs 16 hp

AC808

I now have the loader on my 912H(pics soon!)...I may have a chance to get a 16hp B&S...Do you guys think that 4hp will make that much of a difference? or should i hold out for a 17, 19 or larger?

If you have a chance to get a 16hp B&S......... get it. After using your loader, you can then decide if more power is needed. My guess would be that 12hp for a loader will be enough. So you can use the 16hp in another tractor where more hi-speed power is needed.

I have a used 15HP that I plan to replace the old 12HP in my loader at some point, mostly because the 12HP is smoking and using some oil, and it's a pain to check and add oil with the loader on it. But, I agree with Dutch that I don't think it's really needed. I've found that most of my work with the loader is at about 1/2 throttle or so -- just enough throttle (whatever setting you find yours to be) to ensure you have full hydraulics output to the point of bypassing under heavy load -- without having to listen to the Briggs run wide-open. The real work is being done by the hydraulics, and traction is the limiter when it comes to pushing into a pile of dirt or rock, not the HP of the engine... Where I've found the 16HP really makes a difference is in mowing (especially with vac on, pulling the cart) and snowblowing where you're using full throttle with the engine going onto the governor frequently. A 42" snowblower will keep a 12HP engine on governor about all the time when in use... Your experience may vary...