Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Paul_B

Overheating 16HP B&S Vertical Twin

Paul_B
I've got a 16HP B&S twin I just got running again. It got a valve job and a few other things. The motor ran with the high speed mixture screw out about 4-5 turns, but not as good as I thought it should. After running for a short time it over heats. Am I seeing a lean condition or is this an ignition timing problem? All the "tins" are on the motor for cooling.

Al
Hi, These things generate quite a bit of heat. If it is overheating, The flywheel key could be slightly sheared causing late timing, you could have a lean mixture from an external leak into the manifold or plugged passage in the carb. Seems to me like 5 turns is a lot, I would expect it to be around 2 1/2 give or take 5 turns should make it very rich. Also check the float height. My thoughts, they are free, value accordingly. Al Eden