Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fun in the dirt

Chris727

My Dad recently had a cement retaining wall put up and some dirt needed to be moved closer to our wall and sloped out to the yard.

[img] So I got out the B110 and the front blade, worked some of the loose stuff closer to the wall, then got to packed dirt and had to run the cultivator through to loosen more dirt up. Next I got out the brinly box blade, took off the ends and scarifier, used it as a grader rear blade and I was impressed. With a rear blade you don't get all those tire tracks behind you. [img]/club2/attach/Chris727/b110blade2.JPG[/img][img] [img]/club2/attach/Chris727/after1.JPG[/img][img] The tractor had no problem pulling a bladefull without chains8D [img]/club2/attach/Chris727/blade2.JPG[/img][img] Things were getting better but soon the dirt was again too packed for the blade to pick up much. So I thought I'd adjust my old cultivator, an older style brinly "V" type. A guy gave it to me just to get rid of it a few months ago, but its missing three shanks. I thought it would work more like a ripper but had trouble getting the lift chain adjusted so it wouldn't drag but at the same time would lift up. Still not bad for a freebie:D [img]/club2/attach/Chris727/ripper1.JPG[/img][img] [img]/club2/attach/Chris727/ripper2.JPG[/img][img] More updates to come as I try to get everything smoothed out, Dad says we might get a load of topsoil for me to spread out too^

Though I know there are some advantages to a rear blade over a bellt mounted grader blade, seems too me that project justifies getting one. The control is so fine on the grader blades as its less affected by any rise or fall of the front or rear of the tractor. Looks like your haveing productive fun though so enjoy.

Comet66, Yes it is fun to use the variety of implements, but kind of a pain to switch them around. Eventually I plan to install rear lift on my 7016S and AC710, so I can have a tractor with each implement ready to go. I'm thinking of retirng and restoring the B110 but can't imagine not being able to use it, its my most versatile machine.

In the last picture with the cultivator try moving the lift chain connection point back farther on the cultivator this may help the lifting and engaging problem you talked about.