Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Sunstar

ddhf110

I came across a Sunstar garden tractor yesterday and this is the first one I have ever seen. Does anyone know anything about these tractors? Did they have any problems with the hydro or transmission? I went back yesterday and drove the tractor, it starts without choking the engine, mowing deck is in very good shape, but it has 2000 hrs. on the tractor. The tractor is a 90 model with 2000 hrs. but it is in good shape. The lady is asking $1200, do you think this is a fair price? The only thing i don't like is the 60" deck, i would rather have a 48" deck. Thanks for eveything you have been very helpful!

I'm sure several members/readers own a Sunstar. I have read nothing consistently negative about them. I own a Landlord of about the same age. It's a hydro. I really like it. Tacey

I have had a SUNSTAR that I aquired new in 1987 that is powered by a 20 HP kohler and has all the bells and whistles--48" mower-38" tiller-10" mol board plow- power steering hydro-drive- hyd. lift front and rear pto two speed rear transaxel. I have had some trouble with the kohler--in fact it has thrown two rods over the 17 years that I have owned it, the most recent about a month ago. I just finished up replacing it with a unit from small engine warehouse ( sponser of this site) I also have a 1997 kubota 4wd with 54" mid mower and a tiller but I'll choose the Sunstar over it everytime. Will never get rid of it.

Simplicity Sunstar, Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima, Agco 1920 all are the same machine with different color schemes. IMHO they are the Cadillacs of heavy duty garden Trators.;)

Joe I resent that I have a green Duetz 1920 and she's a terror. power steering, hydro and great hydro lift mowing at 8 mi/hr. I seem to remember you had a green AC.

We have a Sunstar/Loader, and a Agco Allis 1920 with everything except loader both with Kohler eng., and a Agco Allis 1918 with a 60" deck and Vanguard eng. All collected since Sept. of 92. All work very hard and are very reliable. Between my son and I we mow just over 5 acres at least once a week, move all the snow from two large driveways, and I till 5 large gardens each spring. These tractors are a real pleasure to use, and except for the front u-joint easy to maintain.

I never personally owned a SunStar, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Some even say they will cut grass better than the beloved Sovereign.

Marty, Nope, still green, took it for a ride a bit ago as a matter of fact. I think that engine may spend the winter in here on my workbench. Used the 410, that was giving me fits. Fuel problem, I think. But got a fella interested in buying my welder, so that had to move to front of the list.

I bought a Deutz Allis Ultima 1914 with a 14 hp Kohler earlier this summer. It had 360 hours on it and I paid $700 at a consignment auction. Got a heakuva deal IMO. So far the thing has been flawless. Comet66 - I cut out that V-shaped baffle above the front u-joint. I don't understand what purpose it served and was definately in the way of greasing the joint. The only gripe I have with mine as far as maintenance is the engine oil drain plug is right above the front lift rod and the grease zirk that greases the front/mid pto shaft bearings. I have to remove the entire hood to access thst zirk.

Hi, I am sure if you buy it there are a lot of people out there that would gladly pay some boot to trade a 48 for that 60" deck. The ones with a 60" usually bring a premium. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

NUBIAN_ Thanks for your reply. Are parts hard to find for the Sunstar? I find it hard to believe that this tractor has 2000 hrs. and look as good as it does. Do you think $1200 is a fair price?

quote:
Originally posted by WITom Comet66 - I cut out that V-shaped baffle above the front u-joint. I don't understand what purpose it served and was definately in the way of greasing the joint. The only gripe I have with mine as far as maintenance is the engine oil drain plug is right above the front lift rod and the grease zirk that greases the front/mid pto shaft bearings. I have to remove the entire hood to access thst zirk.
I don't think mine has the same baffle, if I remove any of the sheet metal around my shaft it will change the airflow and may not cool as well. - My gripe about the front PTO zerk is that it is pressed in and will come out if you're not real careful. - The oil drain is piped out to the side on the 20's so it is not hard to get at. On my loader tractor I piped it out to the front to make it easier to get at.

I would call Simplicity and get a DOB on it. Parts are not hard to find but some can be pricey. I paid $2500. for mine and it had 1300 hrs on it, although I was told the engine was rebuilt @ 800hrs. You will fall in love with it guaranteed. :D