Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

UHOH carb mounting screws gone in my Ultima

ambler

Mowed hard an left 1920 behind the barn. Later I went down to bull into cover and she started for a brief time and run putrid finally dying. When I cranked it again she freewheeled with no compression. I opened the hood and checked the carb cover and she moved in my hand. I opened it and it rotated on the one remaining bolt. Three were gone down into the intake manifold. Maybe I got lucky and they are in the intake valves.

Thanks for the support Dutch the no compression was a good sign, maybe lodged in the valves. Pulled the shields and heads. Nice thing about the Ultima is you don't have to pull the engine. Big fear was the screws got past the valves and scored the cylinders. There they were holding the intake valves open. Pulled the intake manifold and levering the valve open, took a magnetized screwdriver and lifted them out. Buttoned it back up with new head and intake gaskets, and she fired up strong. That 20hp Magnum is leaking a little oil around the breather and or the fuel pump gaskets. Thats the next project.