Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hairy Vetch Project Whoopped my 725

MPH

Heres a pic I took of my backyard hairyvetch project the first week of Aug. Today will be max test for the 725 and 1 bottom plow as I plan to turn it under. Its not possible to walk through it as it so intangled, out the door for me

Thats a yardstick stuck through the intanglement. Looking to develop plan B on this one guys. The one bottom plow just drags this tangled crop along as the culter can't cut through it making one heck of a mess. If the B-112 and 42 inch deck can't shread it guess I'll be tring the sickle mower and hope it dries out enough to shread next weekend.

Marty my two bits is on the sickle mower and a couple of weeks drying time. Or..........maybe a disc to kind of chop it up a bit before you try to turn it under after you've cut it?

Larry, the B-112 mulched it up real nice. I could only take about 1/3 cut at a time because the stuff couldn't discharge fast enough. I mowed it a second time just to spread the clums out better. Took about 2 hours and its just shy of 1/4 acre.

The pics are on my Pentex Spotmatic Rob. Wally world is 205 miles away. Hopefully pics are also on my new vivitar 3765 didgetal camera but I forgot the software in Conastoga when I grabbed stuff after work Sat nite so I can't download them. This living in two households really sucks, but its paying well.

What I would do is get in there and spray the stuff with Roundup. Wait a week or two for the crop to die off, then mow it down - start high and take a bit more off each time. I would attempt this with a mowing deck so the stuff would get mulched up a bit. Then plow'er under.

Boney, I have a sickle bar for the Landlord, which was plan 'c' if the 112 couldn't mulch it up. Problem with mowing it like hay is I don't have a hay rake and a J hawk stacker for my tractor to stack it with. The B-112 left half to 3/4 inches of ground up mulch on the entire area, I thought pretty cool. Was going to plow it under today but decided to wait a week or maybe two if we have a nice indian summer, hoping I may get some new growth to plow down while its short. Building top soil outta dirt in this north land it needs all it can get.

Have the deer been tearing it up Marty? I usually disc it in to tear it up, then plow it down while it is still GREEN (manure). Did this do what you wanted it to do? I remember when we were discussing this, and it seemed to me at the time when I suggested it, that vetch would be perfect for this. Especially for the nitrogen fixation that you will get. And as you've found out, it makes good ground cover...LOL

Sometimes it helps to flaten the area out, ive done it around my septic were I planted alfalfa for the deer. Id flaten it with the deck down (not mowing),then cut with the grain so to speak. (deck up high). Course you could wait till frost kill then burn it to the ground. Sounds like you got it all figured out. Dougm

As Billy Jack says, I'd try disking it to chop it up, then immediately plow it under while it's still green. We used to do this, but our disc was a "pick up/fold up" type, where you could screw the back set of gangs with their smooth discs to fold up out of the ground, putting all the weight on the front gangs with their scalloped discs... and the whole disc lifted with the 3-point hitch.