Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 questions - 10HP B&S

clyde

The 2100 I just got had not been started in about 5 years, so I pulled the engine and removed the covers before trying to start it. (Of course, there was a large mouse nest). The 10HP has an 'extra' piece I haven't seen before, mounted directly to the flywheel and behind the screen and fan: [img]/club2/attach/clyde/2110h.jpg[/img] It's a little hard to see in this picture, but it's two pieces - one flat piece of sheet metal and the other a 'lip' that comes out thru the hole in the rear cover. I haven't found this in any of the diagrams yet. As you can see one of the tabs is rusted off. I couldn't see any real use for this other than perhaps it helps with airflow? I left it off for now, so 1st question - will I 'hurt' anything without this? 2nd question - the engine had previously been converted to a coil. As I was putting the engine back in I noticed that the wire from the switch goes to the coil '-' terminal and the coil '+' terminal is wired to the points. I thought (there I go thinking again:D) a coil wouldn't work wired backwards, but I left it and the engine fired right up. I had to know - so I switched the wires to the 'right' way, and it also worked fine. (The coil is a Delco Remey). I'm confused! TIA, Clyde

Clyde, My 243431 doesn't have anything like that on the flywheel. My S-G pulley has vanes cast into it like a fan. Never had any cooling problems with that one. A coil should work either way. It is a transformer, so it doesn't matter which way the current flows. I think the polarity is marked primarily because there can be several wires hooked to a coil, and that gives a way to specify which terminal each wire goes on.

Clyde, The extra sheetmetal is for improved air flow and to lessen the size of foreign objects sucked into the cooling system. I don't remember what goes wrong with the coil wired backwards but there is a good reason to have it wired correctly. Maybe someone else can remember what happens. My thoughts,

If a coil is wired backwards there is some loss of spark. I remember reading a Popular Mechanics story in the 60's and the case was solved because the car would not reach top speed due to a reversed polarity to the coil. Think of the coil as really two coils with a common ground. If you don't use the common ground, there will be some loss of high voltage. Not enough to worry about but still a bit.