Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This would go faster If I'd quit being lazy...

SmilinSam

Tractor wrecker/retriever Making a little progress , but with my lazy attitude lately Its been slow going.... [img]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/F3/B5/38995187-aec7-028001E0-.jpg[/img] What do you think of my installation of the Ruger Equipment Hydraulic Crane? Hope the mounting is tough enough to take lifting a 800 lb load. Crane is rated at 2000lb capacity with boom at 5'. At extended to 8' its about 1000lbs. [img]http://a8.cpimg.com/image/F4/B5/38995188-e245-028001E0-.jpg[/img] I really did not plan for the red White and Blue colors, but the truck was originally Red/White. The interior came piece by peice from the junk yard and Red Black and Blue was about all I could find and not enough of any one color to make it complete. So.. we mixed it as best I could to make it work. Blue seat dash and door inlays with black door panels and dash pad. [img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/F2/B5/38995186-9917-028001E0-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a1.cpimg.com/image/F7/B5/38995191-23f6-01FE01AE-.jpg[/img] I got the great Wood grain from Ebay and picked up other optional accoesories at the junk yard. Options picked up one at a time to date include Intermitent wipers, Map pockets for the doors, rear interior panels with the optional speakers set in them, headliner(red), Factory gauges with tachometer, Ford factory digital AM/fm cassette stereo with door speakers,Deluxe door panels with cloth inlays, Cloth Bench seat with fold out armrest, carpeted back of cab panel, and a Factory comfort grip steering wheel. I know where there is a tilt wheel steering coulumn, but I really don't want to go to the work of changing it now. You know, building a truck from the junk yard is alot more fun than going to the dealer and ordering one, and a whole lot cheaper. Still got to get the fuel system together, front clip painted, engine put back in, exaust done, rear bumper and trailer hitch installed, tires, brakes, and a few other odds & ends. Also need to aquire some under the bed boxes so I can mount my hydraulics for the crane. A few more months I suppose yet...

quote:
Originally posted by Just_Me
Well did you weld to the frame or bolt to the frame ??
If you notice carefully at the bottom of the picture of the crane mount, you will see rectangular holes cut through the rails on the bed. These are for plates to slide through. Then I will drop a bolt through the plates on each side of the frame and nut on anothe plate under the truck frame and pull tight. I also incorporated some stops to keep the bed from sliding in case I hit something with the truck. I found this method used to attach the log bed and the Hood Loader on the log truck at work.
quote:
Looking like some pretty productive laziness to me Sam. One thing for sure, you'll know how to fix any part of it when your done.
I suppose, but for the last few months its seems to be that my idea of slaving away is about the same as Roys description as pictured in his member profile...... Unfortunately I kinda enjoy the relaxation a bit too much after coming home from work through the week. Kinda one of those deals where if your butt finds the chair, the day is over... Otherwise this truck might have been done and on the road a month ago.

Sam, A word of caution. [V]On my old service truck, my boom was a long through hyd jack. I had it to swing 360*, but no brake on the swing. I picked my welder up off the bed to set it on the ground. As I swung it, it compressed the springs, and swung on me, pinning me to the side of the truck.B) ;)A swing brake of some kind is a must. And 1 drop down foot would be another thing I would ad. I made both of mine from well used, used trucks, and it is the way to have a bit of fun too. That bed is looking real good, and will outlast this and maybe a couple more trucks.

Joe, This Ruger lift is pretty classy and is still in production. It does indeed have a adjustable swing brake on it. You can loosen or tighten it to whatever resistance you want all within about a half turn of the knob. The drop down feet are in the thought process. I was thinking about a manual pin setup, but if the truck springs compress enough when the load is on the bed I won't be able to pull the pin to raise it back up, so.... I'm trying to dream up a hydraulic cylinder type using the Log Truck at work for an example. Debating on a hinged style foot, or a tube in a tube sliding type.

Hydraulics, man, your throughly modern milly out there. Then I'd go with 2, one on each side of the bed. :DWhy not one long cylinder and make it a roll back?:D

Looking good Sam! Is just my perspective or is your crane centered? I would have thought off to one side would give you more swing room for your load. It certainly will be strong enough.

Tt is centered and to the rear of the truck. I put alot of thought into this and given that alot of the junk I get is in tight places one can usually back into I figured This would work best. The boom extends to 8' so reaching a garden tractor off to the side is no problem either. Also mounted where it is if I pull a trailer I can pick the stuff up from the sides and load on either the trailer or the truck bed.

Sam The project looks great:) Bed and boom will be super nice8D But no slider window in the back:( It takes longer to clean a window to get it ready to put in then to do it. Not bad price around here to get one lots of xlt trucks to get one from. All you need is a screwdriver to pull the rubber down and push out with. Then the replacement window and gasket some grease and a rope. Grease the gasket wrap the rope from bottom to top around the gasket. Have someone hold the window in the opening bottom sitting in place. pass the rope ends inside pull on them evenly till gasket lip is pulled inside all the way around and you're done:D You get a nice brease from them and you can hear someone behind you directing you better too. I put one in a Ranger and had one in my F150 sure miss them in the Explorer. My next truck will have one too if I can help it:D

Sorry , no slider in this one. Going to put one of those see through from the inside American Flag rear window apllications on it.

Looks good,Sam! Why not some sort of crank up outriggers? Something the likes of a trailer jack,or similar? Mount them on sliding pieces that you could pull out from the bed. There was a service truck where I used to work equipped with that system.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Looks good,Sam! Why not some sort of crank up outriggers? Something the likes of a trailer jack,or similar? Mount them on sliding pieces that you could pull out from the bed. There was a service truck where I used to work equipped with that system.
Now thats another idea. Gave that some though tonight and have a few ideas . Might look around and see what types of crank jacks are available. Maybe just have one that I could pin to either side of the trailer depending on which side I'm swinging the load up and on over.

Sam Give some thought to a cargo light yet? 94-96 150 and 97 250 trucks have the same basic cab shape. They come factory with a high mount stop/cargo light. I added one to my 92 I had real easy to do. Run a wire down to the brake pedal switch for the stop light and splice into dome light for cargo light. That way when you open a door or turn on the dome the cargo lamp lights too. would be helpfull at night loading. I like the ideal of the back window shade sounds neat.