Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 ?

ChukM

I'm going to go look at a b-10(early model or late?) has a cart and no other options. Seller wants $450.00. Seems kinda high having not seen the tractor. Never had an AC! What is controlled traction. What are some problem areas that I need to ck out before I buy? Don't think I'll go that high on the price! Is it really an improvement over an old cadet? Thanks Chuck

Hi Chuck, and welcome to the club! As far as problem areas, check the center gearbox (bevel gear box)where the driveshaft connects to and acts as a center pto/ drives belt to transmission, its located under the rear fenders, the whole deck flips up. Check to make sure there is not excessive play between the gears. Make sure the mower deck isn't rusted out. As far as price, if its in really good shape it may be worth that much or more. As far as the B10 vs. the Cub, the Allis should have a much better quality of cut. The Allis will leave stripes in your yard due to the full-width rollers on the deck, also will scalp less than a cub.

Have you seen this great article that Sam wrote? It's a pretty indepth look... http://simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=38&cattitle=Evaluating Unless it's in pretty nice condition, $450 is certainly not a bargain. Keep in mind that the cart alone, in good condition, is worth around $75 to $100 if that helps you evaluate the "deal"... Cubs are better for pulling a plow (or as a pulling tractor), but IMO the Allis will beat it for about any other task. As described, no other tractor will mow as well, IMO....

Mary, IMO, the direct shaft drive and automotive-style clutch do the same thing for using ground-engaging implements that it does for pulling... I'm not trying to be critical of the Simplicity tractors, just to be totally objective. IMO, I categorize/rate them like this: Simplicity -- absolutely the best mower and snowblower Wheelhorse -- best front dozer/snow blade and #2 when it comes to mowing Cub -- good for ground-engaging implements, but probably the worst mower John Deere -- best resale value, but otherwise nothing special and a pain to work on

There's a B10 for sale not far from me.Haven't heard it run.Appears to be in decent shape,needs some grill work,and has a stack from a IH Cub on it. Comes with a mower deck. Sign says asking $400.00 or trade,but doesn't say what the trade is.Doesn't sound too far off from the one you've found.

I just seen a B10 at a sale in Williams Grove Steam show, sell for 1050.00 dollars. To rich for my blood. It was just tractor and mower.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by dratkinson
Kent, In your list of tractor capabilities, where do the Economy and Speedex tractors fit? or do they? /r David
I'd like to take a stab at this one. The speedex, as I've seen cause I've never used one, is cute fixed up but a little awkward to use. As far as an Economy, I have a 64 model and it's almost indistrucktable.It has never failed to do anything I asked it to do. It also has a full floating deck,but the front mounts too the front frame, not the front axel. And with the open deck,don't tell the OSHA man, It will darn near bush-hog and still mow clean. The biggest drawback I've ever had is it's just too slow compared to my HB. Now that I have a 620 it's like haveing a quick, modern vertion that's heavy enough to do what my old economy would. To date I don't think I've ever been stuck with my economy, It just would'nt stop pulling.

I've never used either of those tractors, so I can't give an informed opinion. I agree with Dave's summation of the Economy, based upon people I've talked to. I don't know anyone that "works" a Speedex -- all I've ever seen were "show only" even if they weren't restored...