Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Strap on mower deck chute??

MPH

Since the 725 and plow couldn't deal with my hairyvetch crop I took the B-112 to it with a 42 inch deck. Now granted, I was mowing 3-4 foot tall viney, intanglement, but even taking 1/3 or less of a cut each time the cut material could not exit fast enough. I was mowing in first gear, low end of the variable speed. Didn't do it cause I'm not sure of the purpose the strap iron across the bottom of the exit shute serves. Kinda looks too me like it ties the front of the deck and back together. As I may be in this boat again someday, and would gain 3 inches of free and clear exit without it on there, thought I'd opion hunt here if it's a smart piece to remove.

Marty, The later model decks have a reinforced bracket at the front of the exit opening that has a square bar angled back and slightly outward. This leaves the opening clear and it does not clog as easily. Not sure but you might be able to see what the bracket looks like in the parts manual. So, to answer your question, the factory took the strap iron out but reinforced the deck with a special bracket.

Marty, I have removed that strap to mow tall grass and replaced it later with no problem. It does help to keep your chute clear and as long as you are moving slow and don't hit anything solid you should be ok. Jim

Marty, I believe the strap on your deck and the angled piece of square stock that Roy mentioned are there to minimize the "rock throwing" capability of the decks. The angled piece of square stock is named "Guard Assembly, Stone" in the deck parts list. They are part numbers 174167 (42") and 174127 (48"). Looking at the discharge opening, the square stock weldment is "C" shaped and bolts to both the front edge and top of the deck at the discharge opening. The strap also gives some strength to the front of the deck and helps keep it vertical. I've seen numerous decks without the strap where the front of the deck at the discharge opening is pushed back. I agree with Jim's comments with one addtion - if you're not using the strap, make sure to discharge the cuttings away from anything valuable just in case you hit a rock or other object that might become a projectile.

PhanDad, I'm not sure those work very well to keep rocks from flying, seems like I throw them pretty good even with the guard, so when possible I stay away from rocks. Marty, these 42" "deep" decks are terrible for clogging, especially the later models with a smaller discharge opening. My 1971 Sears Hydro Suburban doesn't clog nearly as bad, neither did my AC Homesteader 8 which also uses a shallower deck. One of these days I'll get an engine on my 416H and see how its shallow deck deck does in the deep grass, Seems like I remember Mack mowing some real deep stuff with his.

Hi, When I got my Wards Squire 10 new in 67 and 3212 new in 70, I cut the strap off about an inch from the fron and back and bent a 3/4 inch rod to the same shape. Notched and beveled the remaining strap and welded in the round bar. Made a lot of difference in the grass discharge and still kept the front of the deck from getting bent in. The newer decks with the partial square rock guard are prone to crack the housing at the middle of the top of the discharge chute. Many times on a used mower, we straighten the deck and fabricate a 3/8 by 2" strap to come up the front, over the top and down the back and bolt it over the housing and through the rock guard to keep the front of the deck straight and reinforce it on the top. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Like the rod idea Al. But like my brother told me on the phone, 'its a lawn mower bro, you need to find one of them weed choppers'. Well, I know he's right, so which one of you lucky guys who have scored one are willing to let it become part of my fleet???