Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking for some information!!!

DDB

I Just got a Simplicity Sun Runner. The ID number is 1691330 001002. This is a 8hp mower with the deck in the front of the machine and it stears with the back wheels. The engine is in the middle under the seat. I can not find any information on this web site. Can some one help me with the year and any other information would be helpful. Thanks in advance Dave dbauerle@netexp.com

Try this link http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php and you will be able to find some information by typing the ID number in the box.

Hi, As I remember they came out in 1986. They were introduced at the "Family Reunion" in either 85 or 86. They are good mowers, the weakest link is traction going up hill. They will back up a steep bank, but due to weight transfer don't go up a very steep hill forward. Otherwise they work well and are pretty relilable. Look and see if there collars on the stops for the rear wheels. If there aren't they should be put on, they keep the wheels from turning so short that the cables can't bring them back. I have a personal interest in these units. About a yr and half or 2 years before they came out we had a customer in and he suggested we convert the 4200 hydro units into a low cost front cut by turning the steering, controls and seat around and putting the deck out front. Something that was not available on the market then. I thought it was a great idea and went in the shop and called Conrad Langenburger [Then VP of Sales and marketing] and pitched the idea to him. Con said it sounded interesting and he would look into it. About 2 yrs later the Sun Runner came out and it was Conrads "baby". I have no idea if he was "working on it when I talked to him about it, or if I might have had some tiny part of triggering the thinking on it. Anyway when I was at the factory last year I asked one of his peers at that time if Con had ever said anything about it. He said he had no idea what the circumstances were, but at least our thoughts were timely. Guess I'll never know. I talked to Con several different times later, and I never asked him and he never commented. We got Sun Star sn 0007 when they came out. I put some JD111 rollers on the corners of the 60" deck to stop the digging in when turning into a bank. Also I widened the wheels and put 26-12.00-12 tires on it. I called the factory and talked to them and they said they had tried buying rims and putting 26x12s on and they hit the rollers. I said I have some on and they work. They asked how and I told them I used 8 plys and they lay flat like a caterpiller track instead of bellying out. They sent a guy down and took some pics and in about a month both rollers and the tires were available. This is what makes this such a GREAT COMPANY any dealer THAT CARES can call anybody there and be listened to, not very many companies are like that. They truly are The Dealer Line. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden