Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pulley shims

Hoss

I would like to Put a V twin Honda into a older Bolens tractor. Problem being the metric crankshaft and the SAE pulley don't fit. Does any one know where I can find pulley shims to make up the difference? The pulley is larger I.D. than the O.D. of the shaft. They must make them somewhere.

Try an electric supply house, they have all kinds of that stuff. I can't say for sure if they would carry metric, but perhaps a motorcycle shop would have something along those lines.

The pulley from the Bolens is a 4 belt cast iron pulley. I don't think I could find a metric replacement for this. Many people have put Honda engines in PowerMax tractors, how do they adapt for fit up?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss
The pulley from the Bolens is a 4 belt cast iron pulley. I don't think I could find a metric replacement for this. Many people have put Honda engines in PowerMax tractors, how do they adapt for fit up?
I don't know how the PowerMax guys do it, but I imagine Honda builds engines to different specs. Just like Kohler and Briggs, crank PTOs come in different lengths and diameters. Why not just get your pulley machined to fit the Honda crank?