Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 716h

beekeeperrob

I have a AC 716h tractor I bought at a yard sale a couple of years ago. Really love this tractor mowes my grass in the summer and plow my driveway in winter. Paid 500.00 Can for it can with a 42in mower, a 48in mower, 38in tiller and a plow blade I think it was a great buy even if I had to bore out the koller and put in a new piston and connecting rod. Anyway the reson for this post is that the hydrostatic pump takes awhile to prime itself in the mean time engine running tractor no moving any suggestions would help.

My AC716H takes just a few seconds after it has been sitting for a day or more. Only the first time I put it in gear. Maybe I also need a new filter and oil, but it has done this since I changed the fluid and oil when I first put it together. I have a Simplicity filter and Simplicity hydraulic fluid in mine. Maynard, Do you run ATF in yours?

If this is a sunstrand pump, Try replacing the short return hose with a new one from Simplicity. Even if a hole in it is so small that is hardly leaks a drop, air is much thinner and it will suck air LONG before it leaks oil. If that don't fix it, clean the hydro good, mark then remove the cover over the charge pump and make sure the seal is good and that the drive pin in the center gear is not broken. Broken pins still engage part time or enough to get the thing running after a while. If it is a broken pin you may want to check and make sure your hydro lift control arm isn't sticking and or make sure to change the fluid and filter more often. Good luck

Make sure when you fill up the fluid that you are releasing the pressure on the bleeder valves. (They are behind the rear tires-you pull up on the bleeder gently with a pliers.) If you don't release the bleeders the fluid will look like the level is full, but it may not be full.

quote:
Change the fluid and filter. done that it started after I replaced the left axle seal
This would have been good information to include in your original post. Could have gotten air in the system somehow.

[quote]Originally posted by UCD
Rod I have 4 hydrostatics 2 Vickers and 2 Sundstrands and they all have ATF in them. yes I am running mercon in it I don't know what make the pump is. I'll try changing the hoses and see if that fixs it Thanks

[quote]Originally posted by ikipp
Make sure when you fill up the fluid that you are releasing the pressure on the bleeder valves. (They are behind the rear tires-you pull up on the bleeder gently with a pliers.) If you don't release the bleeders the fluid will look like the level is full, but it may not be full. No hydro lift hydro drive

[quote]Originally posted by Salthart
If this is a sunstrand pump, Try replacing the short return hose with a new one from Simplicity. Even if a hole in it is so small that is hardly leaks a drop, air is much thinner and it will suck air LONG before it leaks oil. If that don't fix it, clean the hydro good, mark then remove the cover over the charge pump and make sure the seal is good and that the drive pin in the center gear is not broken. Broken pins still engage part time or enough to get the thing running after a while. If it is a broken pin you may want to check and make sure your hydro lift control arm isn't sticking and or make sure to change the fluid and filter more often. Good luck when I frist got mine you could park it on a hill and it would not move, if you did that now you would be taken your life in your hands. Soooo I know that you should not have to wait to drive it.

[quote]Originally posted by beekeeperrob
[quote]Originally posted by UCD
Rod I have 4 hydrostatics 2 Vickers and 2 Sundstrands and they all have ATF in them. yes I am running mercon in it I don't know what make the pump is. I'll try changing the hoses and see if that fixs it Thanks it's been two years since I did that. that's when it started. And as for not post that info that would have been the first thing I would have done and you can't think to post everthing on the fist go, at least I can't nice to know some people think of everything. thanks