Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

variable speed pulley

DonNewberry

I went out to start my b112 two weeks ago. It started, and I put it in gear, and was rewarded by a horrible screeching noise. The tractor did not move! After calling it some pet names I started checking, and discovered the variable speed pulley was damaged. This was after I took the differential apart, of course. Not believing that the pulley was the only problem, I took the BGB apart. There was significant wear on the shaft, and pins. In fact they looked like bow ties. I've had the shaft's re-built and turned. However, I'm not having any luck finding a variable speed pulley. The problem is the three pins sheared off. One side of the pulley turns, but is not connected to the other side of the pulley. Has anyone re-built one of these pulley's or should I go looking for one? I fear the grass shall eat me if I don't do something soon.

I'm just guessing here that it's the BGB variable pulley you're looking for, not the tranny variable pulley. I have a couple of each set aside as spares. I have seen the holes get egged out, worn into oval shapes, but never seen one that the pins broke. You may be able to have new pins installed and if you need new holes you might be able to sleeve the old holes after boring them out or even have a new set of holes bored between the old holes....

The pins are still available new from Simplicity dealer. I have a few sets of these pullys that have one or the other side bad, (Can't remember the side), I will check tonight. If you guys would like, send me an email, and I will see what I have left. This is a very common problem. Most tractors I have seen have one or the other worn out, so I have been "collecting" all of them that I can get for my 3112, and B212. One other part that wears out is the slide spacer, and they are very expensive, but still available new. John

Hmmm, I have no idea what happened to my last post. Anyway, I meant keys, not pins. The machine shop turned me away, and informed me the pulley is to hard for them to drill it out and thread. I've tried doing it myself, with limited success.I was able to drill a pilot hole down the middle of the pin, but was not able to widen it. Hmm, think I'll e-mail John.