Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 Series II Piston/Rod Availability

PhanDad

Finally got a hold of a Kohler Parts Manual for the KT17 Series II engine that was in my "new" 17GTH-L I got last summer (with blown engine). I put the part numbers for the std piston assembly (5207467) and rod set (5206761) into the Kohler parts database at Jacks Small Engine to see what replacements would cost. To my surprise, they come up "zero matches". Tried putting some other Kohler numbers in (such as the piston pin retainer #230004) and that's available. Are major components no longer available for this engine? I was expecting the parts to be expensive, but still available. I guess if major parts aren't available, the engine's heading to the scrap yard.

They are still building this engine. Northern Tool has a Kohler Simplicity Tractor Replacement Engine — 17 HP, 1 1/8in. x 3 25/32in. Shaft, Model#; KT17S-24343 for $1899.99. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=417170&categoryId=766191 If they are still building the engine, the parts should still be available for service. Edens Ltd. has the Kohler CH18 and TH18 engine re-power kits for about $1900-$2000. So, I guess a good question would be, if you have to replace a KT17II engine, would it be better to replace with a replacement KT17II or go with one of the CH18 or TH18 repower kits?

Your part numbers may have been superceded. Piston numbers 5207467, 5287401, and 5207467 appear in different books. I would call someone I trust like Al Eden or Bill Klein. Anyway, Carter & Gruenewald claim they can supply a KT-17 piston, rings & rod. > http://www.cngco.com/cc_gnrl_part7.html

Hello, I'm in the same boat, I just got an AC 917 with a Kohler twin 17 KT17S SPEC # 24204, it was in a local repair shop and was too expensive to fix so the owner just left it lay (~1.5 years). I finally got hold of the owner and paid him $300.00. The engine turns over (water splashed out) and one head gasket was hanging out the side. Question- are the K17S motors any good or is that the one that so many people had trouble with?? Thanks John H

John, The KT17 Series II is supposed to be a decent engine; the original KT17 (Series I?) is the problematic engine. I beleive the main difference between them is the oiling system, the Series II has an improved system; the older ones had problems when the tractors were operated on slopes. The engine in my 17GTH-L was fried by grass clipping clogging the air inlet and shrouds - ran real hot and lost oil and died. I repowered the tractor with a 16 HP Briggs, and have checking/repairing the KT17 as a long term project.

The label on the air cleaner says "Series II" on my engine. You might be able to tell from the serial number as well, but I don't know how - maybe some other memeber can help. Also maybe look up the specs for your AC917 and in might detail the engine type.

Thanks again, I looked closer when I turned over the motor and the right piston does not move. (right as you sit on the tractor) is that the same cylinder on yours? Just looked at the air cleaner and it does not say "type 2" on it so I must have the bad style of engine.