Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FINALLY GOT MY AC 917!!!

johnmonkey

Hello I finally picked an AC 917 with a Kohler twin KT17S and a 48" mower deck. It was laying at a repair shop for about 1.5 years I inquired about it and persistance finally paid off. I paid the owner $300.00. The motor turns over but the plugs were out and had water in the cylinder and one head gasket one hanging out. Question- is the kohler KT17S a good motor? or is that the one that was poor in design? Other than the motor it looks to be in good shape. Thanks for any help. John H

John, If you decide not to rebuild that engine, I would then look for a 16 Hp B/S or Kohler single cylinder. The one lungers appear to be much more dependable than the twins. Is that a hydro? If so, then it is basically the same tractor that you saw on my trailer, the 7116H. Frame is changed slightly on yours to accommocate the twin.

Yes Rod it is a hydro and is in great shape and also has hydraulic lift. I would like a briggs one lunger at least 16 hp. Is that an easy swap?

John, I don't think the Briggs CI singles came any bigger than the 16 horse. I may be wrong about that, but don't recall seeing any that were bigger than that.

As far as I know, the 16HP was the largest of the single-cylinder Briggs. I'm running one, bored 30-over with a fresh rebuild in my HB-216, and it certainly doesn't lack for power, even with a hydro and separate pump for its hydraulic lift. It seldom goes onto the governor -- usually only when I'm mowing with the 48" deck, running the vac, and pulling a cart-full of grass and leaves. Kohler made an 18HP single, but it wasn't very reliable -- based on what I've heard here. It was a different design than the trusy old 12 -16 HP engines...

Of all the engines I have used, THe KT17 Seires II in our 917H is the most dependable. It is also the most powerful, and seems to handle hard work without slowing down much. Except in cold weather, it starts like nothing. I've been waiting to find a nice twin cyl Kohler like this one. If I were you, I'd look for a Series II.
quote:
Originally posted by Kent
As far as I know, the 16HP was the largest of the single-cylinder Briggs.
I was over at my cousin's shop, and he had a b110 with hydrolift there. The owner lost all the parts, but he already rebuilt the engine. He said it's an 18HP single briggs. I didnt think they made them that big, but I'm pretty sure he must be right, since he did a total rebuild and had to order parts. Guess I'll have to check for sure next time.

The 917 is a great tractor. They are made with enough room to accept just about any single or twin engine (even a V-Twin). The 900/7100 series came with both Kohler and Briggs singles, and Kohler twins. So, a swap can be accomplished using all OEM parts.

Thanks for the feeed back guys. I think I will contact Al Eden and see if he has a wire harness that will clip on the existing set-up and work with the briggs 16 hp. JH

I'm no expert, but I recently researched and purchased a 917H. Check your engine, Johnmonkey and see if it is a Series II engine. A dealer should be able to tell you from the numbers on the engine plate. I've heard that the Series I engines were trouble, but like the other posts say, the Series II engine is definitely worth a rebuild. The twin is a nice smooth engine that runs best (and cools itself best) when run at 3/4 to max rpm (around 3800, if I remember). If you rebuild the engine, make sure you keep all the shrouding -- very important for cooling esp on this twin, I'm told. Of course, if the engine was popped as you describe it, maybe it was a series I!

John, Does the Kohler have a magneto or battery ignition? If it has a magneto, then the wiring harness will work with the B/S. If it has battery ignition, you will need a different ignition switch. If you can't find a harness, I could come over some Saturday and we could wire it from scratch like I did on my AC716H, and my 61 Wards.

Hello the motor is a twin 17 -spec #24204- -model #KT17S- . All of the stickers are in place and I don't see a series II sticker on the air cleaner. (as mentioned above). Rod I will show my ignorance here, the engine has a coil so I think it is a magneto. (or am I way off base? how do you tell if it is a magneto anyway?) She is definately worth fixing up because she is in such good shape. JH

Based upon the Spec number I think it's a Series I engine. I believe the Series II engines have Spec numbers of 24300 and higher.

KT17 spec #24299 and lower,KT19 spec #49119 and lower.KT17 II spec #27300 and higher. KT19 II and 49200 higher. II seris motors are full pressure oil sys. Other is pressurized spray sys. I have a CD with all Kohler motor how to rebuild etc.so if anyone needs info. let me know. ken

Thanks Ken and every one that replied. I guess that there is no way to make that series I a pressureized system is there? JH

Don't give up on the KT17 until you find out what is wrong with it. It may not have a big problem. I have a 1979 917 with a series I engine that is still running strong, burns no oil, and has been abused (before I adopted it). Some of the common problems that sent these engines to an early grave are: Breather problems, Kohler has a an upgrade kit for them. Governor problems, governor shaft breaks (to fix this means opening the engine but a easy fix).