Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Correct Snowthrower Belt?

CaseyM

I want to mount a 36 inch snowthrower (1690547) on my 7010 (1690016). This snowthrower is not listed with the 7010 tractor in the 2003 Simplicity Belt and Blade Ready Reference. Instead another 36 inch snowthrower # 1690033 is listed for the 7010 with the belt #174224. Will that belt work with the newer snowthrower which is listed as the 36 inch snowthrower for the 7100 series when it is used on the 7010? The belt I have, which I presume is for a 7100 series tractor, is too long and I would like to buy only one belt considering the expense and effort involved. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

There are a couple of problems. The 7010 tractor is shorter than the 7100 series, so the distance between the center PTO and the snowthrower are different. The 7010 is designed to drive the snowthrower from the front PTO (engine). The 7100 series is designed to drive from the center PTO. The only thing I can think of to make a snowthrower interchangeable with both a 7010 and a 7100 series would be install a front PTO clutch on both and use a 7010 hitch. That would be a lot of work and parts to save the cost of one extra belt.

Thanks Dutch: Your response would mean that the belt listed would not be a belt suitable to try to run the snowthrower as it would be run from the center pto as on the 7100s. If I want to try this from the center pto I guess I will have to wing it on the belt I try. The 7100 belt seems to be about 5 to 6 inches too long. If I can find a belt the correct length, is there any reason that operating the snowthrower from the center pto on the 7010 will not work?

The center PTO on the 7010 is not set up to drive the snow blower. The idler pulley is at the wrong angle to drive a blower. If you look at the center pto on the 7100 series you will see two places to mount the idler, one for the mower deck and one for the blower. If you changed the angle of the idler the belt lengths are still different. The blower will work on the 7010 with the correct 2 pulley hitch and a front clutch.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in uncharted waters. It sure is fun to make things work though and I have a 7100 series to compare to and I think I may keep trying to swim upstream. Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by CaseyM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in uncharted waters. It sure is fun to make things work though and I have a 7100 series to compare to and I think I may keep trying to swim upstream. Thanks again.
You're not really in uncharted waters. Others have mounted various snowthrowers to all kinds of Allis/Simplicity tractors. You'll just have to determine what course of action to take with the components and tractors you have. Mounting a Simplicity made snowthrower to a Simplicity made tractor should require nothing more than obtaining the correct hitch, belt, and possibly a clutch. Club member Rod Hubbard mounted a Sears snowthrower to his Simplicity. Do a "search" for details and photos. Here's a link to the way I mounted a Kubota snowthrower to my 7012. http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm