Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Motor Differences

LFinne

I had a scare over the weekend. Thought my motor was shot. Leaf season is about 6 weeks away and I was going to be in trouble. I fixed the motor easily enough, but I'm going to get another one ready, just in case. I'm looking for one that's run out and I'll rebuild it, as a winter project. The tractor is a 7112. Kohler 12 horse motor. Here's the question: What are the main differences between a Kohler K301s made for Simplicity and those made for other brands of tractors? Is it feasible it to do a conversion? Thanks, Larry

Larry the main things to look for are shaft length and diameter and oilpan depth. Not being as familiar with Kohler as I am with Briggs I'm guessing but also watch the oilfill and dipstick location for match. If the K is like the old Briggs the oilpan can be turned 180deg to get the oil fill to match your frame.

Larry, if you had a choice, you might concider droping in a larger engine. Maybe a 14 Kohler or a 16 Briggs. Realy give it some kick. As for the diff. in engines of the Kohlers I'm not sure.

A 12HP kohler is plenty of power, but bigger ones handle work easier. There are two types of kohlers, one has little flanges that fold out at the bottom of the block for the pan to attach (used in A/C's), and the other type goes straight down at the bottom (used in Case/deere). Those engines also have different flywheels. You need the one with the flanges, and the dipstick location dosent really matter.

Thanks for the very useful information and suggestions. I'll take a look at going to a larger engine, although I must admit the one I have does the job for me. I've never worked on tractor engines before, just car engines, a long time ago. With cars, as long as you stayed with the same basic block, it was relatively easy. If you went to a different block, or a different brand entirely, it was harder. It could be done, but required a lot of effort. I imagine I'm looking at the same issue here. We'll see.

Larry, If my memory is not failing me, I think there are at least 3 different configurations of Kohler blocks. The are the flat-bottom units (Simplicity and many others), The Case/Deere setup, and the Cub Cadet setup. I have mounted Cub Cadet engines on Simplicities, but it required making some special engine mounts, since the Cadet engines are designed for the oil pans to sit down between the frame rails with the mounting area at the top of the oil pan. Oil pans from these engines do not interchange with the flat-bottom Simplicity type. I know, I have both. Been there, tried that.

Rod, Thanks for the information. You've saved me a lot of legwork on this. Much appreciated. I'll stay away from the hard ones. Larry