Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Idler probs.

Wphelps

After putting on the new center arbor assembly on the 712H and mowing some my belt was being torn up. The deck Idler is bent or loose so the belt slides up on the idler. When it slides up it rubs or makes a cutting motion to the belt therefore disintegrating my belt. Well question is, is this a normal problem like too tight of a belt or the idler is bent or something. The bearings also seem a little loose and dry even after lubing so is this idler assembly still available through simplicity Thanks for the help in advance and for previous help to get to this point.

The idlers are usually fairly standard. I have bought idlers that matched from the local hardware store. Also you need to make sure that all three pulleys and the idler are lined up. I rebuilt my mower deck last summer. Had to put spacer washers under some of the pulleys to make everything lined up so that the belt ran true.

Will, I had problems with my mower deck and pto idle. The belts were worn and were chopping and bounceing at the idle pulley. I replaced all the belts with new simplicity belts. That stopped the problem. The belts that were on there were slightly thinner than the simplicit belts. Frank