Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ignition coil swap?

thedaddycat

I have a Briggs 16 that was converted to an automotive type coil and I want to go back to the OEM coil. I have the shrouds off and have removed the coil, which shows evidence of damage. I have a few other engines around that I can pull the coil from, but they're Briggs 10 horse, not the 16. Will the coils swap from one to another without problems? I've never had to change one before, the closest I've done to this is adding "the chip" to replace the points.... Thanks for any input.

My Briggs book lists the coil as the same part number for both engines, so it should work as long as they both have either point or Magnetron ignitions: 10HP 243431 Armature #298968(point), #398811(Magnetron) 16HP 326431 Armature #298968(point), #398811(Magnetron)

Kirk, Do like I do, a side by sied visual comparison. If it is shaped basically the same, looks basically the same, and bolts on the same way, then I would bolt it on and try it.

Kirk, If that Briggs has been converted to battery ignition, the wiring has probably been changed too. If so, you'll have to rewire back to OEM. Don't forget the armature/flywheel gap.

Kirk, Hopefully the goodies inside the points box(and cover/screws) are still in tact. If you are missing the pushrod, bushing, boot, etc; then these little gems can rack up a heck of a bill buying them from Briggs (like points alone around $20.00!). This all assumes you are going back to breaker points ignition. Tom(PK)

Yes, the points are still there, the automotive coil was hooked up to them. I am putting this engine, which I took out of the 3415 that I gave to Dan for making a pulling tractor, into the 3416 H and pulled the shroud before putting it in to make sure there were no mice nests first. I may end up replacing the head gasket as there was an oily mess under the tin. Why not make it right with the ignition while I have it apart is my thought..... Thanks for the input guys!!