Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

eBay scams

Tom_Byrne

Thought this would be of interest as most of either buy or sell on eBay. http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/articles/news3-scam.htm

eBay repeatedly warns users not to respond to any email with account info. Don't people read? Was this gent worried he would get suspended? So what if he did? I get scam emails every day asking for verification of my bank info, utilities info, etc. Some threaten if I don't respond my bank account will be frozen and my utilities turned off. My reaction....... so what. Why are some people so gullible?

You have to be carefull on any e-mail with account information, or threats. And just can them all without visiting the site. It they are real they would be sending snail mail not e-mail. I clicked once on an e=bay site and found a trojen horse virus that records all keystrokes which would get all your passwords and credit card numbes as you use them and sends them out to the thief. This was with antivirus software. The only thing that saved me was "Zone Alarm" which asked if I wanted to allow "sachost.exe" to access the internet. Do a FIND on your computer drives to look for sachost If you have it you are in trouble.

You can't be too careful these days. I had received an e-mail about six months ago from someone claiming to be from e-bay. They even used e-bay's official logo at the top of the e-mail page. They wanted me to update my checking account information or else I would be suspended from using e-bay. Fortunately my common sense kicked in and realized that nothing needed to be updated on a checking account, unless of course you change banks or open a new account, which I didn't. I then noticed a link at the bottom of the page and clicked on that and it did not bring me to any e-bay website pages. I figured it must be a scam at this point. If it wasn't, I was willing to just let e-bay suspend me. It wasn't worth taking the chance and become another victim.

Any email you receive asking for any eBay confirmation info should be FORWARDED to spoof@ebay.com eBay will respond telling you if the email is legit or not. Just remember, eBay will never ask for confirmation of anything via email.

quote:
Originally posted by Agricola
I always hope they would include a mailing address so the Feds could jump on them.
They're THIEVES, not idiots..........

I only pay with money orders.Nobody and I mean nobody that I deal with on Ebay gets my credit card or info over the phone.I only use it over the phone with major companies.I know that that is not fool proof either but at least I have a fighting chance.

Keep good records and remember your liability for credit card fraud is limited by law. I had a credit card company that would sell me insurance to cover charges in case my card was stolen. Interesting, since if I have unauthorized charges on my card, I am only libel for $50.00. However, there might be no limit on a debit card.

We should not tell the credit card numbers over the phone anyway. There will always be someone trying to take advantage of someone. In this case the consumer. Money orders work ok.

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
We should not tell the credit card numbers over the phone anyway. There will always be someone trying to take advantage of someone. In this case the consumer. Money orders work ok.
I won't use anything except PayPal or a credit card. There is always a trail, and I have recourse. Once a money order is sent, your money is gone. I have a special credit card that can only be used for eCommerce.

As I kid, I remember my Dad warning me to tell NOTHING HAPHAZARDLY to anybody concerning my or the family's financial affairs. People nowadays give out information willy nilly. I especially feel secure with the INDIANS looking over my account information. Even the IRS is into giving them access to your totally private information through outsourcing. What makes me feel REALLY good and safe, is that the INDIANS are not allowed to bring pencil and paper into the data rooms. There are Lots of opinions about PayPal and feeling secure in all transactions. Buyer and Seller beware. An opinion: [url]http://www.paypalsucks.com/credit-card-waiver.shtml[/url] PayPal requires your BANK account info. Why?(rhetorical question) From personal experience, even your credit card company Pals present hurdles you must negotiate if you are only "unhappy" with your purchase. Be extremely cautious about giving your personal information out to ANYONE. Don't allow yourself to be fooled into feeling safe. Finally, Pogo: We have seen the enemy, and he is us...

quote:
Originally posted by Woodydel
As I kid, I remember my Dad warning me to tell NOTHING HAPHAZARDLY to anybody concerning my or the family's financial affairs.
My Dad warned me about the same thing. But my Dad put more emphasis on ....... This topic has gone way off Talking Tractors. I'll continue it in the Coffee Shop.