Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

(another) new owner, with (more) questions.

Simplicity314

Hello from a proud owner of a new used 1964 Simplicity Landlord, just bought this morning. It's running, everything is pretty much there..missing headlights, and original rear rims and tires. Had a blast tooling around the yard--neighbor must think I'm nuts. Anyway, it's got the 9 hp B&S 23D motor. Is the Champion J19LM the correct plug for this? It was loose, and I want to make sure I dont damage the piston if it's too long. Also, what are my chances of finding a carberator kit for this? I have some gas leaking from the tube/gooseneck flanges. I do have carb gasket material on hand. And lastly, what's the deal with the hitch that's on it? It looks like a sleeve hitch, but the sleeve is never vertical. Is it supposed to be a 3-pt? Is it specialized, only fitting simplicity attachments? (I saw the impressive custom stuff doing a search). I look forward to joining this club, and getting the B&S manual, but I just plunked down $$ on this machine. It'll have to wait till Thursday :). Thanks in advance. P.S. I live in Colchester, CT and will be attending the Zagray farm swap meet and show.

Here's a link to some good tips on overhauling the carb >http://www.perr.com/tip9.html Be careful removing the tube. It's brass and if it heavily varnished it can "flatten" the housing threads when removing. Soak it overnight in a strong solvent and use a tight fitting screwdriver. The sleeve hitch is sort of "U" shaped and pins to the ears of the rear frame. It is used to connect implements like plows and cultivators. The pivoting thing with a piece of pipe is the rear lift. It is used to raise and lower any and all implements mounted on the rear.

Welcome to the club. I got your email, thanks for the info. I got the info from their web site. Are you a member there as well? Oh I also have a 64 Landlord, you are more than welcome to come up to Brooklyn any time you need help. You mite want to try napa for a carb kit. If not try Cal in woodstock. I can get you hi phone number if you need it. Elon

Dutch...THANKS! I never would have thought that the thing might be brass...I would have wrecked it before I got it off! Elon..THANK you, too. Sorry about the email..I noticed you had some more posts further down, with the web site info. I saw the pics of your machine. Looks great. I will definately take you up on the invite to Brooklyn, especially when I start restoring the thing. Will you be bringing it to Colchester for the show? Oh..I am not a member of qvea yet either. Good god, when I get ahead w/ cash, I can start getting these memberships squared away!

There is a member in Colchester, John Suprono, who you might get in touch with. If you come out this way to visit Elon you will be fairly close to me also. Stop on by for a visit if you can.

I met John..over the phone anyway. I write for the local newspaper here, and I did a little pre-show publicity for them, and also took photos of the show and did a write up. Anything I can do to support 'em (which does not entail getting up a 6 a.m. on a sunday to mow pastures..just kidding). I met a few guys from Hebron who have parts-yards, looking for stuff for my Murray. Now I get to hound them all over again with this tractor! If they don't know who I am, just tell them I was the reporter with a three-day beard and grease under my nails. I think I'm the only one in that profession who fits that description. Oh, and I think I'm the only non-liberal reporter in New England ;) Thanks again.