Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

11HP Briggs Carb question

wasmeneh

The Carb on my 4211 H seems to need constant adjustment. It starts great but after I've been mowing awhile the engine slows and I have to lean out the mixture with the main jet under the bowl. It doesn't like to idle kind of lopes then dies. I rebuilt it about 6 months ago and it seems to stay the same. I would sure like it to run like my Kohlers and other Briggs, you know set it and forget it. Any ideas? I've cleaned the tank, changed fuel filters but haven't taken the carb apart again since I rebuilt it. Thanks in advance Mike

Remove the air filter and make sure there is no excess oil and that the filter is clean. You may also want to check the engine oil to see if over full. If it is, smell it for Gasoline. If it smells of gas, check your carbs float to make sure its not heavy..

I have two suggestions. 1. When air cooled engines initually run OK and then act up after they have been running a while, the problem could be that the cooling fins are pluged up with grass and mice nests. So you might want to check them. 2.These Briggs engines have a history of the throttle shaft wearing on the side closest to the valve box cover. Raw air leeks past the shaft messing up the fuel air ratio.With the air filter off, see if you can move the throttle shaft laterly. The fix is to replace the throttle shaft.

I've got a parts tractor (Dynamark) around back at home that has the same problem, but when you look at the throttle shaft, it is wore out completely, it'd cost more to fix it than it's worth. I've heard you can slip a washer in around the shaft, and that will be a temporary fix.

Ed, You were right, I have play on the throtle shaft. Do I just order one? if so how am I sure to order the right one? Or should I take it out and go down to my local Briggs shop? Common part? Thanks Mike Good information as usual from the Club,