Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

replacing bearings

keifer2k3

Hi everyone, I've got a 48" deck off a 1982 Simplicity Broadmoor III. I'm restoring it with paint and new bolts and bearings. whats the proper way to change these bearings? It looks like I'll need a puller or special tool. Also the shim washer that falls out from the bottom of the assembly when I tap the blade adapter off is cone shaped. Which way does it go in? I'm new at this but having a blast. "Al", if you read this the advise you gave me about adjusting height ahd belt tension led me to finding a huge crack in the support assembly. So after removing it to have it welded I decided to completely restore the deck. Its really turning out nice! Thanks. Oh, anyone have any suggestions to reinforce the two holes at the front where the support assembly bolts. If I use large washers I'll have to grind off some to fit into the irregular shape of the stamp. Will that work?

The easiest way to remove them is with a bench vise and a hammer. Put the bolt back in to protect the shaft ends and close the vise just before it clamps the shaft with the bearing resting on top of the jaws. Give it a few good hits and it will come right off. As far as the washer goes it should be a flat washer and not cupped. It must be worn that way. The washer should be part number 1700230. If you go to my web site I have an online parts lookup to help you. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Im not shur of that style of your deck but i just replaced the bearings in my 410 and woow what a buger bear. Where i had the problem was geting the pullyes to come off. I distroyed them in the process. I have a press that will press out most every thing, but not the thin pullys off the shaft. I ended up geting new pullys. I tryed shoking over night, heat, a press, and big hammers, large vice, and the combonation of some of these. I could not move the pully off of the woodrif key. Ended up with the cutting torch. Good luck..

I tried this once, ruining pulleys in the process -- now, I take the whole arbor assembly (the pulley will go down through the hole in the deck) to a dealer and let them use their hydraulic press to press them out and in... Then, I also don't have to worry about the details of where the washer goes... :D

I took the whole thing apart and put it back together. Getting the pulley's off without damage was difficult. It requires patience and days of letting them soak in oil, then tapping while they're under pressure. The good news is the deck eventually works as well as it did when new.

Here is a Bearing seperator puller set that Maynard post a while back http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=126113 . The bearing seperator makes it easy to remove the pulleys without damaging them.

Well I have the tool and I have a plan... so thanks guys! Now I just have to get the center pully off.:( Last one and soaking in WD 40. I do have a another question though.:) These are sealed bearings but should I still add grease or something to the inside of the housing or just clean it up and paint it? (the inside of the housing) Its a little rusty.

You can put some grease in to help keep the moisture out and the seals lubed. We have had very good luck doing this on all the arbors we rebuild.

I have done alot of these over the years and ruined alot of good pullies doing them...Kents suggestion sounds like a cheaper way to do it...By the way I never realized they would fit through the deck with the pullies on... Thanks Kent!

Well guys, its like this. I'm 38, a graphic artist and never was very mechanical. I used to tinker with my cars when I was 18. Even then they were old cars and the technology was a lot different. (more simple) I've always had a simplicity and learned to appreciate their dependability. I always took my tractors to a guy to fix them (only when they absolutly would'nt run). I really like these tractors and have found alot of enjoyment in tinkering with them and slowly teaching myself about them. Sometimes when yur feel'n down its amazing where you can find therapy! Ya I'm probably in over my head here... but I'm gonna do it or die trying!! By the way, I have two of the pulleys off, intact and undamaged!! Center one ain't going so well. Have'nt destroyed it yet but running out of options... This is a great club and its made my new passion that much more fun!! Its not the money, its how I feel about. Thanks again guys. Keith