Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How about this,, No " I thinks".. only I knows

Salthart

Just read a post where someone made the statement that a Kolher K engine was just as good as a Briggs cast iron. Personaly, I don't agree but I had to stop and ask myself why.. So, I will offer my whys here and I ask that you all do the same. No "I thinks" only hard fact. Not to put down your thinking but I want something WE can figure on and what you "Feel" isn't something we can put in an equasion.. My vote is for the briggs being the better engine. Reasons as follows. 1... The carb/s for the briggs are much more forgiving. 2... I have never seen a broken rod in a briggs that wasn't caused by lack of lube. 3... I have never seen a broken camshaft in a briggs 4... I have something on the order of 30 - 40 air-cooled cast iron engines on the place. 4 or 5 are Wisconsens, 1 a Clinton, One an old b Briggs and the rest are Briggs and Kolhers. With K's being the larger amount. There is not one "knocking" or broken rodded Briggs. Though some smoke like a train, There are no DEAD Briggs engines in the bunch.. Out of the K's there are 3 or 4 that knock like a thrasher and 3 or 4 more that have shrapnel inside. Anything I know of that is better about the K's ? They make more torque. And if on a Simple tractor, the battery ignition is easier to work on if the coil goes out.. Now I can't say ( and I'm not saying ) that Everyone would find the same results. I'm just saying that these are the facts as I have seen them. I look forward to seeing what you all have found...

Marty, Personally, I prefer Kolher. Not that I have anything bad to say about a Briggs, but have just had mostly Kolhers and had great luck with everyone of them. I think this will come down to that old Ford/Chevy thing, just what one prefers over the other. With the B-210 going up to Dan and Lisa, I'm a total happy Kolher family once again. I do know that the 16 Kolher in the Ford I swapped to Dan, was one strong and dependable engine. And one other thought is that I seem to remember a post here where we may not be able to get re-build parts for the older Briggs much longer. If that is so, then Kolhers may look a bit better to some. Joe

Rod broke on my 16 hp cast iron briggs. Had plenty of oil to. Just changed the oil couple of weeks before she went. I think both engines are equally good. ddh

Joe, I chatted with Al Eden on the phone the other night, and he confirmed what I'd heard -- that new short-blocks are now available again for the Briggs cast-iron singles. They're being made in China. Don't give up on the Briggs because of concerns about parts availability...

:DKent, Can't give up on what I don't have.:D There was a fella at Bangor this year with a whole display of old Briggs Horizontal shaft engines, musta been a couple dozen. All nicely cleaned and at some point in the day each running. Believe me, it was an awesome display. But seriously, anything to keep any of these old horizontal shaft engines going, no matter what brand, is great in my book. ;)I would like to get a Clinton and a Maytag for myself, maybe next month for a Maytag. :DI'm doing a lot of sucking up to "she who must be obeyed" to get one.:D:D:D :D:DHey,,wait a bit,,,how did the VW guy get in the Ford/Chevy thing here????:D:D Joe

The briggs that I have had were all pretty crapy. The carbs are all leaky, and to me are pretty crapy. Kohlers are easy to adjust, and dont leak as much, and they actually have oil dipsticks, and will last just as long if they are not abused. Most tractors use Kohlers, which which would be the reason you hear about lots of kohler problems. I hardly see any briggs, and the kohlers are used and abused by most people, then they whine whey they throw a rod. I never have serious/internal trobles with our Kohlers, only one i know was abused. If they are set right, and looked after they are excellent. I dont care what people say, it seems to me there are alot more kohlers that briggs out there, and thats probably the reason there are so many more that you hear about with thrown rods. Also, you never know how a used engine was looked after. I think that people that havent had a kohler to try out shouldnt talk about them if they dont know what they're saying. You cant beleive other peoples storys 100%. There are usually things people happen to leave out. My uncle has troubles with his 14.5HP briggs, our model 19 was a pain and so is every other briggs I have seen. Just my opinion,

not to change the subject . but I can,t get my kohler 17 horse twin to start in cold weather. might be the coil to much money to get a new one glad I have garage . can,t never find a kohler for sale just a few parts . there are a lot of running briggs. I have better luck briggs. pops

Is it a KT17? We have the same trouble, only because theres no compression release. Even if they make crappers, they still make the good engines. :) Just means they're a company that has something for everyone;)

Just give it a shot of "starting fluid". Them Kohlers like to get "juiced up" in cold weather. I always keep a can in the garage. Carb cleaner also works.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Just give it a shot of "starting fluid". Them Kohlers like to get "juiced up" in cold weather. I always keep a can in the garage. Carb cleaner also works.
I always use carb cleaner, it doesn't thin the oil like starter fluid will. However, on the topic at hand, Briggs are the easiest to work on, but Kohlers run smoother.

From my experience, Kohlers are easy to work on and fix, briggs are a different story.. Our KT17 will start like nothing in cold weather if the battery is fully charged. My case starts first or second turn any time. To me, if you want to make a good machine a headache, add a briggs.

the 9HP briggs I have on my B-10 is original only hand lapped valves and runs great. As for winter start up choke it and give it a crank then turn choke off 1/3 throttle.

My experience is: Briggs run with less vibration, use less fuel for the work (probably the updraft carb is more efficient) and have a better splash lube system (dipper rod) for side hills. I can also find many old Briggs that can be fixed, most old Kohlers have that extra crankcase ventilation porting. Rarely hear of a Briggs with a bad camshaft. But when we hitch up for tractor pulling....are horses are Kohler.

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
To me one is as good as the other. I agree, it is like Ford/Chevy
I have to agree with 10Horseman. One thing I like about the Kohler single-cylinders though is the unique sound they have like my A-C 916H. I like Briggs just as much. The 18HP V-Twin Vanguard in my new Conquest is nice and smooth and really quiet!

I havent heard about a bad camshaft in a kohler either, but I have heard its not good to use them on inclines for a long time. But the thing about less fuel, I cut probably 2 or 2.5 acres on a 1/2 tank of gas in my 716H. My ucle almost uses a full tank on his 1.5 acre lawn in his MTD. Both 42" Decks I have heard someone here say a briggs 16 single will run circles around a Kohler Kt17 twin. I highly doubt that, I'd like to see proof. It seems a lot more powerful that my 16HP singles. Even my uncles that like the briggs doubt that too. They have used one.

I have both the Kt 17 series two and the Briggs 16. The Briggs just will not quit. The Kt 17 on the other hand will stall. I never had them side by side do the same job, but the Briggs has more torque. But the KT-17 is quiet. I was told that once I tried a twin I would never go back. I find that to be true. I had entertained the idea of mounting two Briggs together and have them fire 180 degrees apart. 32Hp