Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First Homemade Decal

HubbardRA

Here is a photo of the decal that I made for my AC713S.

Not perfect, but what does everyone think? Total cost was about $1.50. Going to make some for dash and rear fenders next.

The decal was made by printing the design on the paper backing of the decal material, then cutting out the unwanted portions with an xacto knife. This one had the portions of the white removed then the white was placed on the black and trimmed. the orange is the paint showing through the cut out area. As Roy said, the original dash decals would be extremely difficult because of the size of the letters used. It could be done but would be very tedious and time consuming. I am going to make some dash decals for mine, but the wording will be very abbreviated. Oldone, you said it was backward? I wanted it to look like a small grille section. This decal was not intended to be original. In fact, I am not sure what the original looked like. This one is my creation just to break up the area between the lights that looked very plain without some sort of decal there. The average person (especially my neighbors) wouldn't know the difference as long as it looks like it might belong there.

Rod, that is great. I have been thinking about making decals for some of my tractors too. What type of sticky paper did you use? Have you thought about using clear sticky paper? I still get a big kick out of that air cleaner. won't be long I will be making one too......wonderful ideas come out of you. John

Johnerj, I used decal material for model planes. My oldest son picked up some for me at a local hobby shop. It is thin, adhesive coated vinyl that came in strips about 3 feet long and 6 inches wide. He got a piece of white and a piece of black. Cost $2.73 per sheet. I only used about 4 inches of each color, so I still have a bunch left. Since it had a paper backing over the adhesive, I created the image that I wanted on the computer, and printed it on the back side as a mirror image (flipped it horizontal), then cut it out with an xacto knife. Pull off the backing, spray the surface you are putting it on with windex to give you some working time to position it and apply the decal. John, I wouldn't have been able to make the air cleaner if you hadn't sold me the carb assembly. Actually I had already made an aluminum air cleaner from an old aluminum pot that I bought at consignment store. I liked the one with the snorkel better. Guess I should post a picture of the aluminum air cleaner also.

Looks good, Heres a picture of the original, [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/decal.jpg[/img]