Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT questions....

wantedinct

I have a couple of questions about foot dragin tractors, Did any of them ever come with a 16 hp single? And what was the largest one that simplicity or A/C made?

Its my understanding that the FDT where built up to 1970, and the last production models would be the 3200 series. The largest of the 3200 series was the 3212 with 12hp B&S. As of 1971 and the 3300 series they added the running boards.

mbrook is correct. The B-212, with a 12HP Briggs, was the largest of the Allis foot-draggers. However, over the years many of them have had larger engines put in them, since up to 16HP will bolt right in. I have a 30-over 16HP Briggs in what was originally my B-210, and will have install a 15HP Briggs that I have in another of my foot-draggers -- which one, yet to be determined....

It's hard to describe 60% more power. This shows up most in high RPM use. The 16HP will do things without even going on governor that the 10HP strains at. A 16 HP will run a 48" mower deck in tall grass better than a 10HP will run a 42" deck. Same goes for 42" snowblowers versus 36", or a 36" tiller (plus tine extensions) versus a 32"... Also consider that a hydro transmission likely "consumes" 2HP in comparison to a gear transmission. I ran a 10HP and Sundstrand hydro for a little while, until I put the 16HP in it -- the 10HP stayed on governor most of the time the 42" deck was engaged... it was simply underpowered though it did what I asked it to do -- i.e. it wouldn't stall, but I might have to slow down or something to prevent that. With a 16HP and 48" deck now, it seldom goes on governor, unless I'm running the vac (and pulling a loaded cart) or climbing a hill...