Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Multi-Purpose Hydraulic Fluid

Dave-Saratoga

I just changed the fluid in my transmission last night and used the Simplicity fluid recommended. There was a difference in the containers, as one was an older container:

I had poured in the older fluid, followed by the the newer stiff and noticed that there was a significant difference in the appearance of the fluids. The fluid in the older container was amber in color and definately more viscous compared to the fluid in the newer container, which was almost clear. The older fluid appeared more like gear oil than the newer stuff. Anyone have any comments or explanations ?

I bought several containers of the older type in the white container. This is what I am currently running in my AC 716H. Works fine. When I change next time, I am going to use ATF.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave-Saratoga
Anyone have any comments or explanations
Does Simplicity offer more than one type of Hydro Oil? Are the part numbers the same? Maybe the newer oil is needed for the newer tractors, but is backward compatable and will work with the older tractors too. Better check it out.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I bought several containers of the older type in the white container. This is what I am currently running in my AC 716H. Works fine. When I change next time, I am going to use ATF.
My Simplicity manual called for ATF in the hydro unit. When I drained the original fluid, it was hydro oil. I replaced it with ATF as per the manual. Every seal started to leak. Another Simplicity manual for the same tractor called for hydro oil not ATF. I drained the ATF and replaced it with hydro oil. The leaks stopped.

Dutch, I'm glad you told me that. Only reason I was going to change to ATF is that it seems that is what most of the guys are using in their hydros, and it it is cheaper and easier to get. Don't want to put new seals in my old Sunstrand hydros if I don't have to.

The older oil was purchased from an Johh Deere/Simplicity dealer that was getting rid of old stock - he only carries green lubes now. They are the same product number, but not the same fluid

Comet66 does your tranny leak? I changed mine to ATF as per manual and mine leaks. I also thought I had to change seals. Would rather change fluids than seals although I bought a case of ATF I will go the Dutch way and see if the leaks stop.

Could be the simplicity fluid is ATF with some extra seal swellant. The other possoibility is it is what's called a UTF (Universal tractor fluid) these are what are used in farm tractor transmissions and such

Dutch- I've seen the ATF reference in some manuals, but they're the ones I've downloaded from the Simplicity website. Often there are cross-outs and edits throughout those manuals. I've even seen one manual call for ATF fluid in the tranny and 90w gear oil in the BGB. In the original owners manual for my B-110 and in the B-110/B-112 parts manual they call for the Simplicity multi-purpose hydraulic fluid - which is what I've always used. I just thought it was interesting that the fluids were different - the color might be an effect of age, but the viscosities of the 2 fluids were drastically different. Maybe its just more recent formulations and additives (which are usually carcinogenic btw) resulting in lower viscosity.

Dave, If I were you, I'd call Simplicity. Their techs should be able to explain why the "same" fluids are different. I'd also talk to one of their service guys. Those guys are probably exposed to more problems and cures in one year than most of us will ever see in a lifetime.