Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmissions......strengths & weaknesses

wantedinct

I'm thinking about getting another tractor to leave set up with the johnny bucket, right now its on a 2210 with just a 3 speed trans. Anyway, i was wondering what the best trans. would be, do the hydros and variables hold up as well as a gear trans.?

Right now I have my bucket on my 3310V. However the bucket isn't finished yet, but I can tell you it look good on the tractor! lol No really I plowed all last winter with the variable, and it did wonderfull. Elon

Right now I have my J-bucket on my 2110 with the std 3 spd and hydro-lift, similar to your set up. I feel at the moment that this is a very good combo with the ags, I've been moving things with it that I didn't think I could (and probably shouldn't). That said the most important feature IMO is the hydro-lift and then from there my vote would be for hydro-trans. I have 1 hydro and 1 shuttle and a couple of 3spds and the hydro is the most easily controlled IMO compared to the others although I can't speak for the variable though since I haven't had one yet. The only thing I don't like about my vickers (in a 3400 series) is the lack of hydro lift. Over the years that I've had the Simplicities (and this club) I've learned some of both the weaknesses and strengths as well a gaining the understanding of the workings of these work horses and would venture to say that you'd be good with either a late model 7000 series hydro/w lift or an early 3200 series vickers/w hydro lift. It also goes without saying that the newer the tractor the more available the parts will be (at least IMO). I'm also content with the 2110 and the J-bucket at least until I find a power max[:0];)

The actual transmission of the variable is the same as the three speed. The difference is that the BGB cross shaft and tranny input shafts are different since the variable needs longer shafts to accomodate the changing widths of the pulleys.

I've used a Johnny Bucket with a variable (my B-210 originally), a hydro (the B-210 with transplanted Sundstrand), and with a 3-speed (with High/Low)... I think you'll find that it is axle tubes and bevel gear boxes that are the weak spots of any of the drive trains, not the transmission itself. Note that variables are uniquely subject to wear at both the pulley sheaves/pins and the control linkage, and that's simply a factor of age, use, and maintenance. Other than that, they're rock solid, IMO. I agree with Reed that the primary decision factor, IMO, would be hydraulic lift. I'd also recommend the older tractors that use solid rear lift rods so you can easily use a rear counterweight to help offset the weight in the bucket... I don't think all cable-lift tractors (7000/7100 series) can be adapted to use a rear counterweight. Some can be adapted, but I don't think all of them can be -- but I certainly could be wrong, since I don't use RBTs for anything other than parts donors.

My 2210 has a hydro lift, i works great ! I guess what i'm trying to find out is if a 3112 with a hydro trans. will hold up as well as my gear trans.in the 2210.

I've never owned/used a Vickers, so I have no experience with them. Only complaints I've heard has been related to leaks or parts availability... Something else to keep in mind is that variables and hydros have a 4" longer wheelbase, with the same steering mechanism, and aren't nearly as maneuverable. In comparison, the shorter wheelbase tractors (like your 2210) maneuver like a sports car compared to a truck...

Long.....wait till you see my set up! lol Kent In my 3310v the rear I belive was cable, I made a rod for the rear lift. Work just fine. Elon

Elon, if you had a cable to your rear lift it was a home brew project as those tractors came from the factory with the rod. I posted some details on the lifts in the post about sleeve hitches and Brinley attachments.

It's OK to think you know something about your machine. It's even OK to think you know a lot about your machine. But if anyone thinks they know everything about anything, they're just setting themselves up for the fall....... A wise man knows that there is always more to learn, and that no one of us knows as much as all of us...... I learned that one from doing living history, that nobody can possibly know as much as the sum total of everyone whom you will meet on any given day of doing historical reenactment. We(The Longship Company) did a lot, even hit the "big time" by doing the Smithsonian. Guess what? It's easy to learn how much you don't know when you're in with that crowd.....