Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where and What does this wire do?

KSever

I have a yellow wire I can't figure out where it goes or better yet what it does for sure. I am pretty sure it is suppose to charge the battery but where does it connect. I had a bad ignition switch and changed it out with a generic switch from Farm and Fleet today so I could get this AC 314 running again after 1 year of sitting in the garage in pieces. I have tested the old switch to see if I could find out what wire it cross's over to but could find no terminal that meter's out with this terminal that the yellow wire connects to. The old switch had five connections and the new only has 4 which are Bat, IGN, Start, and ACC. My idea would be to connect this yellow wire to the Battery side of the Amp meter but it sure doesn't look right. If anybody has an idea what wire I can connect this to I would appreciate it greatly.

Kris, On the switch with 5 connections, one of the connections is for the regulator and on my 314 I believe that is where the yellow wire connects. I will check my service manual and see if it indicates what other terminal on the switch might be energized along with the regulator terminal. Perhaps you could then connect to that terminal on your 4 terminal switch. I'm certainly no electrician, so if anyone knows for sure feel free to jump in.

That means your pto and trans lockouts won't function with the four pole switch. I imagine you should attach it to Ign, but I would advise getting the right switch because your engine will start with pto and tranny engaged.

I would say the yellow wire could go to the acc. side of switch as it should be the dc output from the rectifier. This would backfeed thru the switch & amp meter to charge the battery. If it does not go thru the switch it will likely kill the battery. Some of these setups need dc back to tickle the alternator/rectifier. My 3 cents, I,m one up on the 2 centers.

Ambler that wire has nothing to do with the lockouts. The lockouts are in the IGN loop and are working at this time. In fact I have even started and drove this tractor with the yellow wire disconnected but I do know the battery isn't charging without the yellow wire from the regulator.

Stan, Is the ACC part of the switch energized when the tractor is running or is only when I put the key to acc when the tractor is not running?

Kris The safety switches are on the starter circuit. In service manual for five wire battery ignition R and I are on in both on and start positions so R or yellow wire should be tied to I wire to coil.

Safety switches???? Man, you guys have to get some older tractors so you don't have to worry about that stuff..... LOL

yea yea, I know it's not that old ( 1972ish ). BUT, it doesn't have any safety switch's anymore either after I got done with it. I know I'm going to hear something for removing them but I am the one driving it and that's how I like it. But I'm not going to be driving it unless I get this wire hooked up right. Just hate to burn something out because I shorted something out.

The yellow wire appears to be the charge wire coming out the regulator. Some wiring diagrams I looked at show that the wire can be connected to the ACC pin and it makes sense. When the switch is in the 'OFF' position, everything should be disconnected and no drain back can occur.

Thanks to all for the info; I'm going to hook this yellow wire to the ACC terminal tomorrow and start it up. Hopefully, it should show a charge on the amp meter after I get the lights installed also. Before I changed the switch, the old key switch would stick on the start terminal and continue to crank the starter even after I let go of the key.

Kris,to be on the safe side why not stick a fuse in line on the yellow wire before guessing where it goes.Might save you from burning up a expensive regulator.Good luck.

ksever my 312 has a 4 terminal switch on it the yellow wire on it runs to the terminal that come on when you turn switch on .it has a red wire connected to the terminal also.there is also another red wire on switch that has current on it all time.if your switch is like this one. it will be the terminal that is at the 3oclock position when facing the key