Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity vs. Massey Ferguson (New)

bigcountry

I am looking at mowers for my little business that I will be running next summer while I am on summer break from college. The strongest candidates so far are the Simplicity/Massey Ferguson brothers, because the initial investment is a lot better than the Farmall line (Case IH re-released the Farmall brand of tractors this year), and the John Deere 500 series, and the rest of the garden tractor lines are just junk. Which of the 2 (Simp/MF) is the better deal? I'm looking for something like a 2900 or Legacy, with a 54" deck, and 3 pt. hitch. I'm not planning to buy until the spring or early summer, so I'll be able to make payments from the money I make over the summer. Hopefully it will also help me build some credit.

I am doing lawns, and I know about the advantages of a z-turn, but I am used to the tractor type, as well as the versatility and flexibility that a tractor offers especially with attachments like tillers and loaders, because I will be offering muliple services, mowing, mulching, garden prep, driveway smoothing (already have the box blade), storm clean up, and possibly snow removal if we get enough to justify plowing. I'm probably gonna get a beefier trailer first though, my little 5'x8' is already too small for what I'm doing on weekends now.

Make sure the trailer you get is heavy enough. I don't know what the Legacy weighs, but my Sunstar is about 1100#, with the attachments running 200#+. It adds up real quick.

The 2003 Legacy weighs. W. Kohler motor 2wd 1130/4wd1280 W. Kawasaki motor 2wd 1180/4wd1320 W. Diahatsu diesel motor 2wd 1281/4wd1431

The reason I was suggesting the Walk Behind is multiple. I had a guy do my grass two summers ago due to a bunch of traveling I had to do. He used a good sized walk behind since he had to get between suburban houses and down some pretty small walkways. He sometimes was able to do three ajoining yards at a time. He charged $20.00 per yard per week. He edged everything and blew off the patio and trimmed some bushes. I guess he made some great money since he was about 45 years old and this was his only job. He didn't even plow in winter. But if you think he could do 15 - 20 yards a day by himself, that comes up to some good money. He did occasionally use another person but he did not have any staff that was not at the same site he was working. He is good and thus makes a good wage for himself.

My church has a Snapper walk behind that was given to them to use, but they let it sit in a storage barn for a few years, and they are supposed to either give it or sell it to me (depends on which deacon I ask). I think it is a 36" 14hp Kawasaki, and self propelled of course. I am going to nurse it back to running condition, maybe use it a while, then sell it so I can make a down payment on a newer, larger, tractor style machine, with an attachment or 2.

Hey, I own a lawn care company here in Ontario. I have ran the old A/C stuff when first starting up lol. Try doing 15-20 lawns a week with a 74 716H lol. Now thats work ;). Then I bougth a Kubota G4200 sweet machine. Can't beat a diesel. Anyways you could look for something used. This will keep your overhead down and will help you make more money. As long as it has been well kept and decent hours. Use it for a year or two and then trade it on a new tractor. Thats what I did and I'm now running a Kubota ZG 20. Well try going to this site. Tons of info on lawnscaping and landscaping. www.lawnsite.com Thanks, William Jordan If you want to talk lawn care email me.

Another thing to keep in the back of your mind is resale. They are the same tractor, but the unknowing might not like the Massey as well as a more well-known name like Simplicity. I know! I got a helluva deal on my Deutz Allis Ultima because most, if not all, of my competing bidders at the auction probably didn't know it was actually a Simplicity Sunstar! It worked to my advantage in this situation, but may work against you in the future. Tom