Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K Series Kohler Carb Throttle shaft kit

ambler

I've put a K341 in my 7117 and doing punch out. The throttle shaft has a good deal of play. Carb number is 45 063 20 from spec number. From the carb manual shaft replacement kit is 25 757 05, which does show up in Jacks database. Anyone done this repair? is the kit no longer available? is their a different number? Do you replace bushings as on the briggs carb?

Ambler, I bought a kit about 10 years ago to do the first carb. That kit had the parts to fit nearly every Kohler carb. Two or three different throttle shafts, two or three choke shafts, one set of bushings, and a hole enlargement drill. The second one was done with a left over shaft from the first rebuild. I made an aluminum bushing instead of brass by turning it on my small lathe. Can't find the part number of the kit. I do remember at the time the kit ran about $40.

Rod I spoke with RBI the Virginia Kohler distributor and they sent me this.

One choke shaft kit each for 1/2 inch and 1 inch. four throttle kits for 1 inch carbs and you chose which one based upon measurements of existing shaft. wild huh

I thought I would document this completely, Here is the the hole service bulletin:

It appears to be quite simple once you get down to it the throttle and choke valve plate holds the shaft in. grind off the weld. I'm told that usually you dont have to replace the bushing. Is this true or should I replace them? I'll document with pictures.

I thought I would document this completely, Here is the the hole service bulletin:

It appears to be quite simple once you get down to it the throttle and choke valve plate holds the shaft in. grind off the weld. I'm told that usually you dont have to replace the bushing. Is this true or should I replace them? I'll document with pictures.

Ambler, You have steel turning in aluminum. I would not replace the steel shaft without inserting a bushing. In fact, on the ones I have replaced, the hole was worn more than the shaft. I have only done two, but I put a factory bushing in the first and a homemade bushing in the second. Both worked well.

Rod did you drill out the bushing as the sevice manual recommends? I have the shaft and the old shaft was very worn and the new shaft in the bushing gave very little play. I'll decide Friday when I have some time.

Great post! I'm going through my friend's Wheelhorse GT 14, and (we think--no identification appears on carb) that it has a Walbro carb, based on what we can decipher from the service manual. Are there throttle shaft kits available for the Walbro carbs, and if so, does anyone have a source? The engine is a Kohler K321, from '70-'71, but again, we think it's a Walbro carb. Thanks in advance, Peter

Ambler, I drilled out the bore on the first carb and replaced it with the bushing from the kit. The right size drill bit came with the kit. On the second carb I made a bushing. There was a larger bored area at the edge of the carb where the shaft went through. I made an aluminum plug with a hole for the shaft and pressed it into the larger bore. I used a shaft left over from the original kit. The flat for the butterfly was slight larger than the butterfly for the carb, but it worked. I didn't have a bushing, since it had been used on the first carb, so I had to make one.

The kit came with a bushing and shaft and some locktite. I ground and taped the old shaft off the the linkage. Then came the fun. The instructions didn't say anything about removing the old bushing. What I found on examination is there is no original bushing, there is a recess for the new bushing. I locktited it and pressed it in. Carb runs great. Big six, pull the shaft and see if the dimensions correspond to the above. That identifies the kit. Order the part number, my local people had it. Look for the recess for the bushing.at top of throttle shaft. Rod the choke shaft is drilled out not the throttle shaft.

ambler: Thanks. One question: I thought those dimensions you posted were for Kohler brand carbs, and we're pretty sure this is a Walbro. Or is that your point--match it up and see for sure? Actually, this carb was weird, IMO, because the throttle shaft didn't go straight through. Rather, it only protrudes from the top of the carb--the bottome of the throttle shaft (the unworn side) sits down in a cast well, at the bottom of the throttle bore. You can see the underside of the well by turning the carb over and looking at where the float bowl sits. Are the Kohler brand carbs of the same design, where one side of the throttle shaft isn't even visible? It's all back together and running fine, but there is considerable throttle shaft play, so I'd like to order the shaft kit, (if it exists) for a rainy day. Thanks again. Peter

Big Six. Kohler carb I did is the same. Pushes in from the top. Have you downloaded service manual from kohler? Kits about twenty dollars.

Bottom end of the shaft can't leak because it sits in a blind hole that is sealed from the outside. This end also does not wear. Ambler, I didn't remember the specifics of the bushings since it has been nearly fifteen years since I rebuilt the first one. I know I made the aluminum bushing to put into the recess on the second one.

ambler: Yes, my buddy did download the manual, and he bought me the kit, which I installed, but it did not include the shaft and bushings. I didn't see the "recess" you spoke of, but could it be that the shaft/bushing kit fits both a Kohler and a Walbro? Seems unlikely but.... Rod: Yes, I thought having one end sealed was pretty smart, for leaks. A real pain, however, if the carb had standing water in it. Had to heat "the well" and had a tough time getting that shaft free.

The kit he bought only contains bowl gaskets and the fuel inlet needle. You need kit 14-17 above. The recess for bushing is under throttle shaft lever.

Ambler: I don't see anything like the recess you describe, so I'm guessing this is a Walbro carb, and the kit info above is for Kohler carbs only. But that's okay--I've got bigger problems with it than the carb--it actually runs great after cleaning and installation of the carb kit, even with the leaky throttle shaft. It's not as bad as some I've seen. Thanks.

Ambler: Yes, it does. It was difficult to read now that carb is mounted, but it is: C275369. Thanks, that'd be great, to find out for sure, but no hurry, as I'm working on the deck right now. Peter