Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Point of View

bkassulke

Some people say that older is better, so I am asking is this your opinion on lawn and garden tractors???? Just a question that popped into my head. Benjamin Kassulke

If you are talking about people I'd say at 66 is not better than 26 or 36 other than being smarter and wiser. But question was about tractor. Look at Sear, John Deere, and in some cases simplicity, and go back 30 40 year and compare than and now and you can see a huge differents in whats made. My 67 727 broadmore is still running and working today as it did when it was new. How many 5-10 year old sear etc. can you find that aren't on the scrap pile. Just my opinion. Oh how about cars. Ken

Ken, dont count out the old sear tractors. My boss just sold his 67 Sears suburban. Just as heavy duty as the simplicities. Elon

I believe the dedicated lawn mowers have gotten better but when it comes to actual Garden tractors capable of attachments, older is better. PS I also believe the Sears Suburbans are pretty dependable, capable, and tough.

I think its more like..."You get what you pay for" instead of whats made better old vers. new...I mean think about this..the cheap junk they sell today at the box stores cost as much as the oldies did 30-40 years ago...If you was to go out and spend the money that they spent back then you would be probably spending 10,000 or so dollars...Now tell me that something in that price range is made cheap and out of tin... I also think that the average person today just uses their tractor to cut grass and pull a cart...They don't work them like they used to...But then you get a few that do work them and tear them up..Then they blame the manufacture for making junk.They should be blaming themselfs for buying a lawn mower to do a tractors job... So the bottom line is...there is good stuff out there in todays market but you have to pay for it...and most people wont pay it when they can go to Sears and get a cheap tractor for $800 or so...

I like the older better, they seem much more substansial. Mowed my father in laws yard today with a fairly new Craftsman and was wishing for my AC 914 all the time. Mowerman has a very valid point with inflation and all a $700 LT from 30 tears ago would be quite expensive in today's dollars, you couldn't compare it with a $1000 Craftsman.

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
I think its more like..."You get what you pay for" instead of whats made better old vers. new...I mean think about this..the cheap junk they sell today at the box stores cost as much as the oldies did 30-40 years ago...If you was to go out and spend the money that they spent back then you would be probably spending 10,000 or so dollars...Now tell me that something in that price range is made cheap and out of tin... I also think that the average person today just uses their tractor to cut grass and pull a cart...They don't work them like they used to...But then you get a few that do work them and tear them up..Then they blame the manufacture for making junk.They should be blaming themselfs for buying a lawn mower to do a tractors job... So the bottom line is...there is good stuff out there in todays market but you have to pay for it...and most people wont pay it when they can go to Sears and get a cheap tractor for $800 or so...
I agree with that statement

I like the old ones better. But some parts are not available new, In that case i like the new simplicity

I think older is better if it ain't worn out. I have a 1971 3310H that I have owned for 25 years running almost non-stop the first few years(one rebuild to 10 over on the engine, one rebuild replacing pistons and cylinder blocks on the transmission). Every part is worn. Every joint (except at bearings that have been replaced) is loose. Seat is ripped. Tires have dry rot and a few gallons of tire slime to keep the air in. Engine runs great, mower cuts great, it is comfortable to operate. But someday some part is going to quit that will either not be available or will cost more than the tractor. About that time new might start looking pretty good.

Give me the old stuff, every time.:D A wrench and a little (old stuff;)) thinking, is all you need to keep your outdoor world looking as good (or better then) as you neighbors. He pays 5k+ to mow his lawn for 10 years, I just keep this old Simplicity happy and I win, Cause Its already taken care of lawns+ for thirty+ years, and every hour it works is just an hour and thirty years more than His is gonna get him. Older is better IMHO Ken

The youngest tractor I have out of five A/Cs that are running is a 1974 A/C 410. So the only thing that I can say is that I have seen a lot of newer tractors in the junk pile that are beyond repair.But my Simple trACtors are still going strong!

Yes I too like the old stuff.. The new tractors in my opinion Size for size are not as heavy as the old ones and I think you will find the engines won't last as long either JMO