Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HELP rough yard

toad270

My fiancée's yard has never been rolled since the day she bought the house about 10 years ago and is extremely bumpy some places are 1/2" to 1" drop offs how can I level this out with out tilling up the yard and starting over? I have rolled it 4 times now in the last week it is getting better but still has a lot off drop off in it.

After rolling that many times you have compacted the ground. Rent or barrow a airation core roller. It will pull core plugs from the lawn. Help the lawn to thicken so you have less weeds and a lush lawn Do that at the end of your mowing season before frost. leave the cores lay they will break down and feed back to the lawn Do this before you reseed and it will make that go better too. Now is the time to do it you have the most root activate in the fall. Spike type will work to but not as well.

toad270 Don't roll again till next year. But do the aration and overseed now if your top growth has slowed enough to let the lawn go till the cores have broken down. Then only roll next year if the ground still rough. Aration is better and can be done in the spring too Golf courses do it many time a year less expencive weed control. See my profile it may help you make up your mind