Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sunstar

patrician12

I've got a lead on a sunstar tractor.What type of drivetrain does it have?Is the motor like 900 series horizontal or is it vertical?Does it have a beveled gear box and seperate trans?I've looked through the archives can't find any pictures of the running gear.I've never seen a sunstar or its Duetz Allis equivelent.Is it a good tractor or something less than 900 series allis?

Ronald Hribar
I've heard it was very good tractor with the exception of front axle. Believe it is a good 20 hp Kohler horizontle(?)shaft.

The SunStars use a Peerless 2600 Transaxle with a Series 15 Sundstrand Hydrostatic Pump. These transmissions are pretty much bulletproof. They use a horizontal shaft engine. They were offered with 14hp and 16hp single-cylinder Kohler Magnum engines and 18hp and 20hp Kohler Magnum Twin Cylinder engines. Later models used 18hp and 20hp Kohler Command V-Twin Engines. I've never owned one, but I have heard alot of good things about these tractors. Ron, is right though, they had a high maintenance front axle. The tractors are all shaft drive, transmission and attachments. They did not have a bevel gear box like the Sovereign. The SunStars were built from 1986 to 1997. They are alittle larger than the Sovereign. With all that said, if the price is right I say go for it!!:)

Go here: http://www.simpletractors.com/deutz/1920_%26_1918.htm Later models have the "V" twin. I have one with the "V" and only had it a couple of years but like it. Mine was really worked hard and abused (rode hard and put down wet) and after saying that, there is still some use to get out of it.

I agree with most of the above, however, (I probably shouldn't say this) I have never had any axel problems. (Knock Wood) The only problem I've ever had was with my AA 1920H, and that was with both PTO switches developing high resistance and not allowing full voltage to PTO's. In fact the original battery in that one lasted 10 years. The 1918H came with the Vanguard engine and has also been very reliable. We work all three very hard all year round and love them. I especially like the diferential lock feature on the 20 horse models.

If you can get the 20 hp with the two speed rear axel and the diserential lock. Yhe power steering grows on you too.

It looks like a nice unit but if it has shaft driven accessories they seem had to get.Even the deck and snowblower are shaft driven?

I hear that ALL the time.I have NEVER had a problem with my front axle, maybe those who have loaders on them have a different experience.I use mine year round and the most weight i've had on the front end is my single stage snow thrower. As far as basic attachments go they are not hard to find. Good luck finding an oem loader and 3400 rpm rear pto, but that's it.the prices are high but they are also shaft driven,no belts:D.If you buy you will love it;)

sandyhillbill
I agree with all the good things that have been said in the other replies. I have had my Sunstar 20 since 1987 and have not had any problems with the front axel. I use it with a 48" mower and a 38" tiller.