Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

YOUR GONNA LOVE THIS!

If this MTD thing is kinda new it prob has a NON adjustable carb.As long as it runs/mows fine on high idle/let it be,I would say.There is a emission std. for them now too!If our VP has his way we'll all be using goats for mowers! $1.63 here in upstate NY for gas. dlc

Did you say$1.63? I'm jealous. I just payed $1.80 for the cheap stuff here in CT. I just back the timing off so they don't ping too much.

You all make me SICK! $2.12 for cheapo here... West Michigan.. And I have to go out to Wisconsin the first week in July and I hear prices near Chicago are over $2.50... Rob

With both my AC716H and AC314H being rebuilt I have to mow with a Yardman made by MTD. It's got a 20hp brigs. The problem is that the engine surges. At any speed it will start to die then the governer kicks in and rpm goes up then starts to die again. The cycle continues. Here is the kicker! When the blades are engaged it runs perfectly at about 3150rpm and mows about as well as can be expected. Why does this engine surge with the blades disengaged? This just started this year. YES I KNOW WHERE I'M AT BUT, I NEED HELP AND AFTER ALL THIS IS MY HOMEPAGE. tHANKS JIM

I'm kinda in the same spot.I'm rebuilding my broadmoor and have another on the way. The broadmoor is a 63-64 and cuts and runs perfect. But while i'm rebuilding it i'm using a 1300.00 piece of junk sears craftsman. I had the same problem. unstaedy running at half or full throtle but when the blades where incaged it would steady out and run ok.I played with the adjustment (fuel) on the bottom of the fuel bowl. i got it running perfect that way. Then when i incaged the blades it would pop and run like sh))(*. So i kept adjusting the fuel mixture(bottom of bowl)tell it ran good with blades incaged and disincaged.its not perfect but it runs better. Try that adjustment. while we are on the subject of junk. does anyone know why a trans on a craftsman would shift real hard. I mean hard you cant hardly get it in gear?????? JCB

Bought tractor gas today -regular at $2.37 a gallon and premium is as high as $2.79 here north of Detroit Mi.and it is hard to make money mowing anything at those prices. Not that anyone gets rich mowing lawns anyway around here. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

Here near GreenBay gas is $1.85 for the cheap stuff. Gettin a Fiero for going back and forth to work

Still $1.47 in west Tennessee, guess they feel sorry for us poor southern boys. Back to the $2,000 junk Yardman bought in 1997. I can get it to run smooth with out the blades engaged by pulling the choke out a little, AND DLC the local lawnmowershop also told me that he could fix it BUT "If it is still mowing I wouldn't mess with it." I guess that say's it all :) Thanks to all for your reply's. Jim

You guys have it lucky Up here in British Columbia reg. fuel is 69.9 cents a litre. For you metric challenged that works out to be about 3.15 a gallon. When my carb leaked it got a shut off valve real quick.

I had this same problem on a totaly diffrent motor and mower. What i did was i noticed that the throttle plate was going from high idle and then dies and hits the idle screw and then jumps way high again and this is reapeated unless i have the blades ingaged. How i fixed it was that I turned the idle screw in untill it stoppede and i have never had a problem sence.

GAs is 1.67 for cheapo near my house....... 20 miles away///////Chicago is 2.00 or more and cheapo is 1.97 very close to my house