Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 II Crankcase Breather Question

stevenj

I pulled the RH side valve cover/crankcase breather cover off to replace the gaskets. The manual shows a breather cover that uses an umbrella valve. However, my breather cover has a thin metal reed valve instead. The reed is fractured, and the hole in the breather cover is exposed. The manual doesn't show this design level. Is anyone familar with this design and do you happen to know the part number. Also, are there any other parts that should be installed, such as a filter, or seal. I have a printout from the parts microfiche that the dealer gave me and it only shows the design for the umbrella valve. This is the top of the breather. You can see the reed valve that is fractured and a piece is missing.

This the back side.

You have the newer replacement style, but with a broken reed the assy must be replaced. I believe the older umbrella part number will supercede automatically.

HI, The umbrella type valve is no longer available, The reed valve is the current way to go, actually the only way you can go now. I think if you order the umbrella, you will get the reed. My thought, and they are free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Thanks for the replies. The dealer found a service bulletin that shows the new part number is Kohler 52-035-02-S. The reed on the new part does not sit flat against the hole in the plate. If I press down on the reed at the hole that the mounting stud passes through the reed will sit flat. Is there another part that should fit over the stud to put down pressure on the reed to keep it flat against the hole? You can see in the pictures below that the reed does not sit flush.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry it took so long to give you an answer to this, Steven, but I just replace mine this evening. There is a seal (mine was part # 5203204S) that goes over the stud to put pressure on the reed. There is also a small filter that goes in there. I didn't have a drawing, but it seemed "intuitive" that the little filter goes between the reed valve and the hole where the hose connects. There is a place online where you can look at a diagram and get part numbers. You will need to know the numbers off your engine. Go to www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp and use the parts lookup there. It gives you diagrams and part numbers. I ordered the parts from Jack's, though. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the exact right diagram, and ended up ordering the wrong hose, so I'll be reordering! Hope this helps!