Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar parts

thedaddycat

I picked up a walking tractor at the Colcester show that has a sickle bar mounted to the front. The rock guards and teeth look like they match the Simplicity and Allis sickle bars, but I will do a match up later today just to be certain. Before I start to take it apart, how many folks out there need either rock guards or teeth. I'd hate to waste a good sickle just for one or two parts, but if there's enough interest I will sacrifice this one to keep others going....

Why don't you mount the sickle bar on the front of one of the Simplicities? That would be unique. Elon bought one at GOTO and was considering this type of mounting. If you decide to part it out let me know, I would like a couple of spare cutter teeth. I already bought spare rock guards from Sam, so I don't need any of those.

BixSix, Read a little closer. It is Kirk (thedaddycat) who is thinking about parting out the sickle bar, not me. I want to buy a couple of cutter teeth if he decides to sell them.

Rod: Oppps...my bad. Kirk, can you help me pull the pins ("BigSix Read a little closer.") out of my ears? LOL Thanks, Peter

OK, it looks like I will be taking one of them apart for spare parts. I'll let you guys know when I do. Any opinions about if it would be best to drill out or grind off the rivets? I'm thinking grind the heads off so the holes stay nice and tight... Peter, no problem bud... I've been called a lot worse than by someone else's name!! LOL

Kirk, I don't know which one of us should be insulted. I ground the heads off when I replaced the bar on mine. You can also drill off the heads, because a drill will not touch the cutter teeth. I bought rivets a little too large. I drilled the bar, but the drill wouldn't cut the teeth. Went through several types of bits, but none touched the hardened teeth. Had to use a lathe and turn down the part of the rivet that went through the teeth. Takes a lot of time to turn all those rivets.

It may have been easier to heat the rivets to a dull cherry and drive them in and peen them......... That's a lot of turning, for sure!!

You guys gave me a chuckle--thanks. Today I finally got to try the deck on my buddy's GT 14, only to have the center blade get lazy after 5 minutes. I can see the bolt in the center of the pulley turning indep. of the pully, so I definitely needed a laugh. I don't use a lathe, but if I did, I could see how that could be a compelling, maddening job, turning rivets. I think I'm glad I don't have a lathe....

When I was farming, I would put the cutter bar loosley in a vice and hit the edge of theteeth. THe soft steel rivets would shear off.I would then drive the rivets out of the cutter bar. (thats how the old farmers did it. worked for me) Fred Wood

Fred That is correct. We have a tool that was made just for rebuilding sickles. You use the press to shear off the bad section,punched out the rivet and then you would press in the rivets on your new section. It worked very good and was fully adjustable for different size's of sickle sections. I don't know if anybody even does this much anymore as most late style sickles have the sections bolted in. Mark

I've used mine a few times, it's more a neat toy than anything else. It worked OK but it's slow going. I'll have to try the Weed and Brush Cutter one of these days....

Thats right,it's slow but so am I!It's a lot better than a walking one for sure,I do have a Sim sickle bar that I am selling the rock guards off of,if anyone is interested,,,

Since Dave has a parts sickle to sell pieces from, I guess I won't need to be taking mine apart now. I'll probably put the David Bradley on eBay now to recoup my investment. Dave, just rock guards or those and the cutter teeth, too? What will you be asking for either of these pieces? Maybe if there's enough demand I will take the other sickle apart anyhow.....